I've installed a new hard drive on my grandsons computer. I have an OEM XP Home to install, however, when I try to install, the install goes to the loading files for install, then indicates that the plugin.ocx file cannot be installed. If I bypass and continue I get an Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms In page error.
I didn't think an OEM version would be any different on a clean install. Does anyone have any ideas of what is happening, and\or how to get around it. Thanks.

Ichthyosaur

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The cd could be damaged ..try a different CD

Thanks. That kept coming up in my support search.

Also try running diagnostics on the memory.

I was thinking about that also, but I have now way to test it. So, I tried installing my XP Pro. disc to see what would happen. My disc installed properly with no errors. I then tried installing the XP Home disc over it; this time I got past the plugin.ocx error, but still got the "CD":\I386\asms In page error.
Thanks.

I was thinking about that also, but I have now way to test it. So, I tried installing my XP Pro. disc to see what would happen. My disc installed properly with no errors. I then tried installing the XP Home disc over it; this time I got past the plugin.ocx error, but still got the "CD":\I386\asms In page error.
Thanks.

i hope by over it you mean you did a full format of drive first ,and it still points to a bad or dirty win xp home cd,

Sorry for the delay. I just received a new OS disc from the vendor; the install went as it should, everything installed. Thank you all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.