I am running xp as my os and have encountered the following stop err on xp start up

STOP: C000021a [Fatal System Error]
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc0000263 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down

If I attempt to start in safe mode still receive the above message

Cannot get the system to load from xp disc.

Any help welcome

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

CAUSE

The error message that is listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article is often caused by pending file-rename operations that are scheduled in the Windows NT registry, but that cannot be completed.

Programs or Setup programs may schedule a file to be renamed on the next restart of Windows NT if the program is prevented from renaming a file because the file is in memory.

Windows NT checks a registry key for file-rename operations to be completed early in the boot process. If the file-rename operation cannot be completed because the file or folder does not exist, the error message that is listed in the "Symptoms" section of this article is generated.
RESOLUTION

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue:

1. Create a parallel installation of Windows NT.For additional information how to do so, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 259003 How and Why to Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows NT 4.0
  2. Start your computer to the parallel installation of Windows NT, and then start Registry Editor.
  3. On the Window menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine.
  4. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
  5. Type the path to the System hive of the prior installation, typically %systemroot%\system32\config\system, and then click Open.
  6. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST, and then view the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\Select
  7. Note the setting for the Current DWord value in the preceding registry key. This is typically 0x1, and is represented as CURRENT:Reg_Dword:0x1. This value indicates that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation corresponds to ControlSet001 in this window. A value of 2 would indicate that the "CurrentControlSet" for your original Windows NT installation would correspond to ControlSet002, and so on.
  8. Locate the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST\ControlSetXXX\Control\Session Manager

where XXX is the CurrentControlSet that you identified in the preceding step.

9. Under the Session Manager key, note and then delete any PendingFileRenameOperations entries.
  10. Click the TEST hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
  11. On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
  12. Type the path to the Software hive of the prior installation, typically %systemroot%\system32\config\Software, and then click Open.
  13. When you are prompted for the name of the key, type TEST2.
  14. Remove any PendingFileRenameOperations entries in the following registry keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEST2\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

15. Click the TEST2 hive, and then click Unload Hive on the Registry menu.
  16. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your original installation.

I am running xp as my os and have encountered the following stop err on xp start up

STOP: C000021a [Fatal System Error]
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc0000263 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down

If I attempt to start in safe mode still receive the above message

Cannot get the system to load from xp disc.

Any help welcome

Here you go: (not pretty, sorry):

FULL help can be found here

What's changed? Is there any new devices attached? New software? Did you alter file permissions on the C: drive? These kinds of problems are difficult to address without knowing what changes might've occurred...and even once you find out the changes, reversing them can be difficult since the two options usually available are

a.) command line utilities to disable problem services or replace critical system files with backup files that you most likely won't have
b.) parallel install of Windows

...not really stuff that's very easy to support from a forum, sometimes it's easiest to get your data off the drive and reinstall Windows.

Here is a quick fix that may help. I had this problem and it took me ages to get some proper documentation and when I did it was really convoluted. What you may wish to try is to reboot with your windows cd in the drive, select boot from cd.

When you get to the point where it asks you to install a new installation, choose the option that allows you to fix an installation instead. From here you should land at a DOS prompt. Navigate to c:\windows\system32. Copy in the repair version of the system file:

rename c:\windows\system32\system c:\windows\system32\system.old
cp c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32

Then reboot and see how you get on.

Here is a quick fix that may help. I had this problem and it took me ages to get some proper documentation and when I did it was really convoluted. What you may wish to try is to reboot with your windows cd in the drive, select boot from cd.

When you get to the point where it asks you to install a new installation, choose the option that allows you to fix an installation instead. From here you should land at a DOS prompt. Navigate to c:\windows\system32. Copy in the repair version of the system file:

rename c:\windows\system32\system c:\windows\system32\system.old
cp c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32

Then reboot and see how you get on.

That is a good fix, I've used it before many times. There's probably an even better file to use for this under C:\Windows\Repair as system.bak which gets written at setup time so you can basically revert to a clean post-setup system hardware state or something to that effect. All I know is that if you get a corrupt system file or a new device that loads a killer driver this file works well and rather quickly since it's somewhat tailored towards your hardware already. This person is also having a problem getting booted on CD, apparently. When she says "loading Windows from cd" I'm not sure if that means getting it to boot into the broken installation, running setup or running repair...I love how vague users are. I read a little about the particular error she is getting and although numerous scenarios could cause it I think you're right that replacing system would be worth trying. It would be my guess we'll not be hearing from this user again...

it's worth noting that i recently had a problem whereby I couldn't actually access the repair windows console either without getting the stop error. I have a maxtor disk and downloaded something called powermax off their web site. You boot from a floppy with it on. It scanned my disk and said it was fixing something, hey presto I then managed to get on to a recovery console. Without it I would have lost everything on my pc.

Hey. I dont no to muhc about this kinda stuff and i a was reding this article because im having a similar problem exept i dont get an error message when my comp restarts. I woll try to do something on Internet Explorer and it will just reboot then when i log back on is says....... miscrost windows xp has recovered for a seriouser erorr blah blah blah.... and i have no idea wut to do becaus ei dont get an error code i can use to help me so guy....any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.