IE5 gets stuck trying to go to new web page. I am using Windows 2000 Pro . I think it started when I was adding a service pack or upgrade and aborted it before it finished. When i tried to upgrade to IE6, I got the message
"A previous installation has pending work
requiring a reboot. You need to restart
your computer to complete that installation
before running Internet Explorer Setup.
Setup will close now".
I found instructions on http://support.microsoft.com/ It was in article q221863, so then I deleted a pending PendingFileRenameOperations in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. That allowed me to run the setup for IE6, but IE6 was having the same problem and I found the Pending file to be present again. I have been trying to find a way to delete IE from my computer so that I can reinstall, but all I can get to is to unisnstall IE6, which brings me back to IE5. There is an IE5 Uninstall folder ,but the .exe program would not execute. There is no uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs file in control panels. And then I reinstalled windows 2000 and it left IE5 the way it was. The only thing left to do is a clean install of windows 2000 which will wipe out everything. does anyone have a suggestion?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.