I'm running windows xp professional, and I've been having trouble accessing web-based email services (hotmail, yahoomail, and also a private microsoft exchange server web interface) from my computer. I've tried using both firefox and internet explorer. When attempting to load my hotmail or yahoo inbox in ie, the page simply never loads. When I try in Firefox, I get an error message that reads "the document contains no data." I am able to access my inbox at the exchange server, but am unable to send emails.

I also can't access my online banking (fleet.com), and have had trouble posting to some tech support forums. I thought it was a problem with secure sites, but I am able to access some secure sites.

All of these services are fully available from a friend's computer running on the same internet connection, through the same router, so it's a problem specific to my machine. Any help?

Recommended Answers

All 32 Replies

check the security section of these fourms and get the suggested program to check for malware/spyware .

Are you running a proxy of any kind? I run proxomitron & had the same problems before configuring it correctly.

This is a very common problem, and I tried EVERYTHING. Forums all over the world are overflowing with desperate XP'ers banned from their own hotmail, online banks, various other high security sites.

Finally I cracked it. I'm once again accepted into the flock!

Follow the instructions in this to the letter. Every boring step. It's very simply and clearly explained. And it WORKS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];246725

Good luck!

Note: the link came out a bit strange! Go to the Microsoft KB (http://support.microsoft.com), and choose "advanced search". Search by article number - it's 246725.

Hi Guys,
I am having a really bad problem, i Have tryed to view certain websites and i get a page ending in dns error internet explorer,

The site im trying to view is, www.e7even.com

I have tryed pinging it and everything,

I have been looking at my network setting 'ipconfig' and my default gate way is 217.137.214.142 which is a search page with virus's etc etc on it......

I can view it through anonimizer but not normally, why??????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Thnaks Alot,

Parcan.

Parcan, try the steps outlined in the article I mentioned. I had exactly the same problem along with several thousand pariahs, and basically it was resolved. I imagine that you can't access any online bank accounts as well. I hope this works; if not, let us know.

Hi, (Again)
I have tryed doing that but it still dosent work the box wasent checked before and microsoft told me to check it so i did, i have just turned it back off.

Any other ideas????

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :rolleyes:

Parcan

Register the following system files
Click Start > Run
Type “regsvr32 softpub.dll (w/o quotes)
Press OK
Repeat the above steps for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Those helped for me....
Grz Bartderus

Ok- I would love to follow the advice from microsoft, except I cant even access anything in the microsoft domain - when I do it just claims "waiting for support.microsoft.com" and then goes to a blank page..........can you post that article here?

Thank you!

Ok- I would love to follow the advice from microsoft, except I cant even access anything in the microsoft domain - when I do it just claims "waiting for support.microsoft.com" and then goes to a blank page..........can you post that article here?

Thank you!

First some fourm use info ,when you respond in the way you did we don't really know what you are refering to as there are more than one microsoft link posted in the above post ,so what you should do is click on the reply/Quote box at the lower right of the post you are refering to !thanks .

Did you try suggestion in post #9

This is a very common problem, and I tried EVERYTHING. Forums all over the world are overflowing with desperate XP'ers banned from their own hotmail, online banks, various other high security sites.

Finally I cracked it. I'm once again accepted into the flock!

Follow the instructions in this to the letter. Every boring step. It's very simply and clearly explained. And it WORKS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];246725

Good luck!

Fix for the link above
Microsoft
for those who can't axcess the site this is what is in it .!!
Cannot Gain Access to Certain Security-Enhanced Web Sites
Article ID : 246725
Last Review : September 15, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q246725
On this Page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION
MORE INFORMATION

SYMPTOMS
When you try to gain access to a security-enhanced Web site, you may receive the following error message:
The page cannot be displayed

Cannot find server or DNS error
CAUSE
This error message can be caused by incorrect security settings in Internet Explorer.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue: 1. Quit Internet Explorer (if it is running).
2. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Scroll down to the Security section.
5. Clear the Use PCT 1.0 selection.
6. Clear the Use TLS 1.0 selection.
7. Click OK.

MORE INFORMATION
Some Web sites do not support the PCT 1.0 and TSL 1.0 protocols.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
• Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Top of Page

Keywords: kberrmsg kbenv kbprb KB246725

Hey Guys,
I am still having the same problem i have tried all the fixes in this section and guess what it still dosent work, i have deleted all my pop up blockers, we have recently purchesed a new computer it worked to begin with but has stopped again!!!!

Again sugestions?

Parcan........ :!:

Hey Guys,

Again sugestions?

Yeah ! sell you computer and get a big screen tv its more user friendly ,I thinking about doing it !LOL :)

Hey Guys,
I am still having the same problem i have tried all the fixes in this section and guess what it still dosent work, i have deleted all my pop up blockers, we have recently purchesed a new computer it worked to begin with but has stopped again!!!!

Again sugestions?

This problem could occur because of Spyware , go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. When HJT fixes anything, it makes backups of the original files in the folder it is in. Since Temporary folders are emptied now and then (the files are DELETED), it would not be a good idea to have your backups there. Those backups would be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' then name the folder 'HJT'.

2. Copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

3. Close ALL windows except HJT

4. SCAN with HJT

5. POST the new log in this thread using 'Add Reply'

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Thanks alot Cyperjack that was what it was,

Ta (and i dont think ill be selling my computer for a big screen t.v weve all ready got one lol!!!! :lol: )

Parcan :lol:

I did what you said too and it didn't work? My computer has been doing this since November. When I'm at school I'm on a LAN and I can't get into my email, banking, ect. When I'm at home on dial-up I can access them from the same computer? Please help!! Boggled~Sheryl :eek:

It's ok i have recently signed up to a new internet provider!!!!

I did what you said too and it didn't work? My computer has been doing this since November. When I'm at school I'm on a LAN and I can't get into my email, banking, ect. When I'm at home on dial-up I can access them from the same computer? Please help!! Boggled~Sheryl :eek:

Hi sheryl (hoped i spelled that right) i would try speaking to your ISP as its usually them, who are you with????

Everything's been working perfectly! I even ordered Microsoft Office Pro 2003, a jump drive (256 mb), a floppy drive and a 4-port Hub for my laptop.

Everything's been working perfectly! I even ordered Microsoft Office Pro 2003, a jump drive (256 mb), a floppy drive and a 4-port Hub for my laptop.

Hi sheryl that great new, good luck

I too was going through this nightmare. Even two formats and fresh installs of XP. One common that most seem to have is it is a shared connection to the internet via a router, switch or ICS (Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing).

After hours of searching (knowing it really wouldn't be a spyware or virus issue due to a fresh format and install), I found this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-107

You will have to lower your MTU settings from the default setting of 1500. I find that mine would work at 1472. Once I could ping my main computer's gateway, everyworked great.

Hope this helps some people.

Paul

I'm running windows xp professional, and I've been having trouble accessing web-based email services (hotmail, yahoomail, and also a private microsoft exchange server web interface) from my computer. I've tried using both firefox and internet explorer. When attempting to load my hotmail or yahoo inbox in ie, the page simply never loads. When I try in Firefox, I get an error message that reads "the document contains no data." I am able to access my inbox at the exchange server, but am unable to send emails.

I also can't access my online banking (fleet.com), and have had trouble posting to some tech support forums. I thought it was a problem with secure sites, but I am able to access some secure sites.

All of these services are fully available from a friend's computer running on the same internet connection, through the same router, so it's a problem specific to my machine. Any help?

This was a nasty one , but I am happy to report my systems are now working with hotmail! The problem appears to have been with the netgear router setup. After disabling SPI and changing MTU from 1300 to 1492, both done at the same time under the netgear Advanced -> WAN Setup, my two XP systems are now able to access hotmail. It is notible that my two win2K systems did not have this problem.

Thanks to those who posted clues here and on other pages that caused me to visit my router setup until I actually read what all the settings do:

Disable SPI Firewall

The SPI(Stateful Inpection) Firewall protects your LAN against Denial of Service attacks. This should only be disabled in special circumstances.

MTU Size

The normal MTU (Maximum Transmit Unit) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 Bytes. For some ISPs, particularly some using PPPoE, you may need to reduce the MTU. This is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure it is necessary for your ISP connection

one of the postings here suggested 1492 for MTU size. I was using 1300 for a vpn setup, which I have not yet tried.

Good luck!

Hello everyone,
Although I don't use XP, I had been facing the same set of problems (unable to log in hotmail, msn IM and some other sites).
I use Win 98, and was in deep trouble for the last two days due to these problems. I tried everything provided in this forum, and other web forums, but to no avail. :mad:
Finally we copied all the important docs and applications from C to D drive, and reinstalled Windows. And trust, all of the problems vanished. I am able to open Hotmail inbox, chat via msn IM, etc.
We also HAD two anti-virus programs running - AVG free and AntiVir Personal. After Windows 98 reinstallation, we installed AVG only. Similarly, we had three anti-spyware applications - Adaware, Spybot & SpywareGuard. After reinstalling Windows 98, we installed only Adaware.
Now the successful running of msn, hotmail, etc is due to Windows reinstallation or single anti-virus or sole anti-spyware is beyond comprehension for a novice like me. Important is - I am not facing any problems now. :D
Thanks a lot to everyone for all the help and support.

The following has always worked for me, and I've posted it before. As I mentioned before, I'm not sure exactly which of the steps solved the problem, so I suggest you go through them one by one. When I had exactly the same problem, I was totally baffled, and even my tech support guy could only suggest re-formatting the entire system (the fallback of all tech support - reboot; failing that, re-format!).

Good luck....

Delete the temporary Internet files
Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer
Verify that the date and time settings on your computer are correct
Verify that your computer is using 128-bit encryption
Use System Restore to return your computer to a previous state
Verify the configuration of your third-party firewall or antivirus programs
Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all Windows File Protection (WFP)-protected files
Verify that the Microsoft Cryptographic Services service is started
Re-register .dll files
Create a new user profile
INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to troubleshoot situations where you cannot connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites (https://) by using Microsoft Internet Explorer in Windows XP.

To troubleshoot situations where you cannot connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites by using Internet Explorer, use the following methods in the order that they are presented. After each method, use Internet Explorer to try to connect to a SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web site and determine if the problem is resolved. If you can connect to the SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web site, you do not have to use the following methods. If the problem is not resolved, go to the next method.

MORE INFORMATION
Delete the temporary Internet files
To delete the temporary Internet files, follow these steps:
Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the General tab.
Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Cookies.
Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Click Delete Files.
Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Under History, click Clear History.
Click Yes when you are prompted to delete your history of visited Web sites.
Click OK.

Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer
To configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Configure the security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer. To do this, follow these steps:
In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
Click Trusted sites, and then click Default Level.
Add the SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web site to the Trusted sites zone. To do this, click Sites, type the URL of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box, click Add, click OK, and then click Apply.
Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state and AutoComplete history. To do this, follow these steps:
Click the Content tab.
Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State.
Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared.
Under Personal information, click AutoComplete.
Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms, and then click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation.
Click Clear Passwords, click OK when you are prompted to clear all previously saved passwords, and then click OK two times.
Verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0. To do this, follow these steps:
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Security in the Settings box, select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes (if they are not already selected), and then click OK.

Verify that the date and time settings on your computer are correct
To verify that your computer is configured with the correct date and time settings, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Date and Time.
Click the Date & Time tab.
Make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time, and then click OK.
Verify that your computer is using 128-bit encryption
To verify that your computer is using 128-bit encryption, follow these steps:
Start Internet Explorer.
On the Help menu, click About Internet Explorer.
The level of encryption on your computer appears next to the words Cipher Strength. Verify that the Cipher Strength value appears as 128-bit.
Click OK.
Back to the top
Use System Restore to return your computer to a previous state
The System Restore feature in Windows XP takes a "snapshot" of critical system files and some program files and stores this information as restore points. You can use these restore points to return Windows XP to a previous state.

Verify the configuration of your third-party firewall or antivirus programs
Make sure that third-party firewall or antivirus programs that are installed on your computer are configured correctly and are not preventing you from connecting to security-enhanced Web sites. For more information, see the product documentation, or contact the program vendor.

Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all Windows File Protection (WFP)-protected files
Use System File Checker with the /scannow parameter to immediately scan and verify the versions of all the system files that Windows File Protection helps protect. If System File Checker discovers that such a file was overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (Systemroot\System32\Dllcache) or from the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

To run System File Checker with the /scannow parameter, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
For additional information about System File Checker, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310747 Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Verify that the Microsoft Cryptographic Services service is started
To verify that the Cryptographic Services service is started, or to start it if it is not already started, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type net start cryptsvc, and then press ENTER.
Type exit to quit Command Prompt.
Back to the top
Re-register .dll files
Re-register the following .dll files:
Softpub.dll
Wintrust.dll
Initpki.dll
Dssenh.dll
Rsaenh.dll
Gpkcsp.dll
Sccbase.dll
Slbcsp.dll
Cryptdlg.dll

To re-register these files, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type the following lines and press ENTER after each line:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in FileName succeeded.
Type exit.

Create a new user profile
You may not be able to locate SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites if your Windows user profile is damaged. To troubleshoot, log on to the computer as another user and try to connect to a SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web site. If you can connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web sites when you are logged in as a different user, your user profile may be corrupted. To resolve the problem, back up the information and settings that you want from your profile (for example, the My Documents and Favorites folders), and then delete the damaged profile.

To delete a user profile, follow these steps:
Log on to the computer as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
Click the Advanced tab, and then under User Profiles, click Settings.
In the Profiles stored on this computer list, click the user profile that you want to delete, and then click Delete.
Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
Click OK two times, and then quit Control Panel.
Log off the computer as Administrator, and then log on as the user.

Windows creates a new profile for the user.
Note Alternatively, you may want to create a new user, and then copy the data from your old profile to the profile of the new user.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
811151 How to copy user data to a new user profile

I have the same problem if I am wirelesly connected at my office. However when I conect at the airport through the wirreless hotspot there I can access all sites with the same laptop. The microsoft support thing did not work for me . I cannot aces any of the support sites anyway

I have the same problem if I am wirelesly connected at my office. However when I conect at the airport through the wirreless hotspot there I can access all sites with the same laptop. The microsoft support thing did not work for me . I cannot aces any of the support sites anyway

Can you access any sites at all or just that you can't access specific ones?

• If you can only access certain sites, have you tried scanning your system for viruses/spyware? If not, use the link in the bottom of my sig to do a thorough system cleaning. Also, are you certain that your office doesn't block access to certain sites?
  • If you can't access any sites, are you sure that you are connecting to your office's wireless network correctly?

i cnt access to certain website..i just dunno why..can u plz tel me wat shud i do...evrytym i try to access it will say dat page cannot be displayed...is der anyting dat i can do so dat i cann access to those websites again..dis r those sites which i cnt access to..

www.friendster.com
www.cybertech.help
www.ptcompatible.com

plz..help me..

I had to uninstall my network software, usb isdn hardware then
start, run, Ipconfig/release. Then I went back and reinstalled network software and reconfigured network. Now it works.

Hi virtuedata,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Given the above, I've split your question into its own thread, which you can find here.

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.