Hi folks, I'm running windows XP pro. So the new problem is I cannot shut down the computer without hitting the power switch on the back. Windows seems to log off and gets stuck on the blue screen saying windows is shutting down. Never shuts down. Whats this about. Thanks. Stephen

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It could be any number of things... What type of software do you have installed? Do you use p2p software? How long ago did this start happening?

Give us some more information, and we'll see what we can do for you.

And does it shut down normally while booted into safe mode?

Norton Antivirus has had this effect on every XP computer that I've installed it on. I jsut gave up trying to fix it. If you hold down the power button on the front of the case for a few seconds the computer should switch off. Beats reaching round the back!

Norton Antivirus has had this effect on every XP computer that I've installed it on. I jsut gave up trying to fix it. If you hold down the power button on the front of the case for a few seconds the computer should switch off. Beats reaching round the back!

I have been using Norton Antivirus 2002/2003 ,no problems on XPPRO for almost 2 yrs ,same install of xP now going on 9 mts,narie a problem
I install it on all the computers I format for others , and load XPPRO on .Again no problems .Lucky I guess .:)

I have been using Norton Antivirus 2002/2003 ,no problems on XPPRO for almost 2 yrs ,same install of xP now going on 9 mts,narie a problem
I install it on all the computers I format for others , and load XPPRO on .Again no problems .Lucky I guess .:)

Well I jsut put NAV 2004 on a new box, and it can still shut down (although it happens slower). I guess either they've fixed it, or its just my bad luck with the other ones :sad:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.