Hi,

Unfortunately I have not been able to work as I normally would this week, because ever since last Sunday both my internet Explorer and Netscape has been running VERY SLOW - or on and off. Sending and receiving email has also been unstable. At first I contacted my internet provider and went through settings, pings etc. but that did not fix the problem. I then tested Internet and mail on an old Win 95 PC and no Internet connection problem was detected. I use an analogue 56kbps modem on both PCs, and Win 2K on the Pc with the named problem.
Thought it was due spyware and some sort of virus, and as I did not have capacity to deal with it myself, I had a computer technician to solve the program. He worked 4 hours and cleaned my system for viruses and spyware for a substantial fee. He also installed Ad-aware, Spybot and Trend Micro Internet Security( 30 days trial, but I will buy this as Norton did not catch what Trend Micro did). However, Explorer and Netscape is still running VERY SLOW and sometimes not at all and I don't know what the problem is or what to do except from reformating the harddisk, which I am now doing ALL I can to avoid. Tried to reinstall the modem driver but that did not help. Have also downloaded and run FixWelch from Symantec but no worm was detected. I have also run CWShredder from Spyware and my system was found to be clean. Tried in addition Hijack, but as I could not determine what was bad I did not risk deleting anything. Downloaded PCBugDoctor but that proved to be a program one had to pay for, even for 30 days trial, and as I don't want to use my credit card in this situation, that alternative is left out for now. I am completely confounded, especial since the so-called expert contacts that I know of here, seem to be at a loss too. I am now dreading having reinstall Windows ( 2K) on this portable PC because of all the extra work that would involve. If anyone can think of something based on something that would solve my problem, I would more more than grateful - i.e. life would once be good again :-)

PS. If I would have to re-install Windows and install all my back- up files I wonder if the problem I am having might persist due to a file that might cause this problem. Anyhow, reinstalling Windows 2K will my very last step to solve the problem.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Can you post the HIJack this log in the SECURITY forum.

...He worked 4 hours and cleaned my system for viruses and spyware for a substantial fee...
...PS. If I would have to re-install Windows and install all my back- up files I wonder if the problem I am having might persist due to a file that might cause this problem. Anyhow, reinstalling Windows 2K will my very last step to solve the problem...

Hi annelise, it's unfortunate that you had to spend money getting your system cleaned as we could have helped you do that yourself for free.

It is very unlikely that if you reinstall Windows the problem would persist. Hopefully you won't need to do that though. Do as Dark_Omen suggested and post your hijackthis log in the Security forum. Before you do that though, make sure you have version 1.98.2; if not, you can update it from the Update feature within hijackthis, or from here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-5034.html
Also, make sure HJT is not running from a temporary folder or from your desktop, it should be in it's own folder similiar to this: c:\hjt\hijackthis.exe

P.S. Before you purchase anything, ask for opinons here; there most likely will be a free alternative, or possibly better options.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.