I tried to install windows XP over my other xp to reformat and I went through all the steps and such and when I boot up I have the 2 choices of Windows XP and Windows XP. Also when I go into my C drive it looks like I still dont have alot of free space?? maybe I still have 2 operating systems or something. Is there anyway of deleting my old XP? Im just confused ;)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You seem to have installed it to a different folder than your original XP was in. You should have formatted first, to remove all data that was there. You are now in a bad position, you can probably delete the old version of XP, but there will be a lot of detritus left behind, and you won't regain all the hard disk space that is used unless you find every file on the drive you don't need.

I'd recommend a good reformat, then reinstall XP. I'll give you a link to Catweazle's excellent articles on how to do this:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

Hope this helps. :)

*blushes.......

Ok I got it all straight I had to re-install windows like catweazle said in that guide, and I deleted the old partition, so I only have 1 windows XP on my system now with my C: drive 94% free space with 2.11 gigs used or something. THANKS GUYS YOU SAVED MY ASS AGAIN!!!

Great! Take care now. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.