I'm rather stuck on how to troubleshoot this issue:

I'm running WinXP PRO SP1 with an 80 gig SATA HD, OCR 512MB on an NF7-S V.2 mainboard and an AMD 1.8GHz processor. I'm at a point now that in order for me to boot in Normal Mode I need to boot into Safe Mode and do a thorogh chkdsk on all of my partitions. A Normal Boot will only last a short while until somthing causes the system to crash-just power off, with my mainboard sounding an alarm like a European ambulance. There's more-while booted into Safe Mode and running chkdsk sometimes that will cause a crash. When I try to boot from the WinXP CD or when I try to reinstall the OS the system will crash during Install. Of course I can't forget when I try to Defrag, occasionally I'm greeted with a crash as well. I try to boot into Recovery Console-CRASH!

At this point I cannot tell which element(s) is causing the crash. I could easily go purchase all new system components and write this one off-but where's the fun in that.

I have run numerous Diagnostic programs, when I'm lucky to be in Normal Mode, and all come back fine.

I am at your mercy, DaniWeb GODs..........

vaporware

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That motherboard alarm makes it sound suspiciously like an overheating problem. Remove the side of your system case and check that:

* The fan and ventilation holes aren't clogged with dust
* The processor fan is actually working
* The processor heatsink/fan hasn't become loose or unclipped. It should be clipped quite firmly, and resist a light twisting motion.

Everything clean and dust-free, all fans are functioning and the Temp. shows a comfortable Degree after 1 hour of operation. I have gone as far as dismantling and reassembling again without success either.

That motherboard alarm makes it sound suspiciously like an overheating problem. Remove the side of your system case and check that:

* The fan and ventilation holes aren't clogged with dust
* The processor fan is actually working
* The processor heatsink/fan hasn't become loose or unclipped. It should be clipped quite firmly, and resist a light twisting motion.

vaporware

Check in BIOS Setup on the 'PC Health' menu. 'CPU warning temperature' might be set to too low a level. Motherboard alarms generally mean only either a heat warning or a 'case open' warning.

The other problem, the system crashing (I don't think the two are necessarily related) could well be a RAM problem. I haven't come across OCR RAM, only OCZ RAM, but generic modules often have incompatibilities with motherboards, and cause the sort of system crashes you're experiencing. I'd try running the system with a single module of RAM borrowed from somewhere else. If it runs stable you can suspect your own RAM as the source of the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.