I have a HP desktop computer that I was using when our power went off and on a couple of times. Now this computer will try to start and shut down automatically after about ten seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be fried or causing me this trouble?

Thanks,

Coolio1234

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

try booting into safe mode and see if the same thing happens

if not we will continue from there

yes, it will boot up in safe-mode. One more thing I need to mention is that I did take the hardrive out and try it in another computer and it booted up just fine.

Now I have the computer booted up in safe-mode.

Thanks,

Coolio

hmmm

ok, if it worked in another computer that isnt the problem, its not your hard drive, not your os

so it could be anything else

can you tell me everything you are using?

video card
psu (wattage)
processor
ram (how much and type)
mobo manufacturer and model

this is everything and it can be any of them

so please list and we can nail them off the list one by one

this is a stock HP Pavilion a1700n except for the operating system and two cards.

1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
2. two 512mb pc 4200 memory
3. Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE graphics card
4. DVD-RW
5. Mother Board A8M2N-LA
6. Power Supply 300w

This computer originally came with Vista and now has XP pro. The sound and ethernet integrated on the mother board were not compatible with XP so after market cards were installed. This computer worked flawlessly for one year, until this power outage during the latest storm.

Thanks,

Coolio

I believe is has a cause with malware...

According to what you said it never happened before,it was only after the power failure right?

yes, that is correct.

According to what you said it never happened before,it was only after the power failure right?

yes, that is correct.

if it was the malware, as you suggest, why would it not work in only one computer, it almost cannot be anything on the hard drive so, that is why i asked for the hardware

i will try to look into this and see if anyone had this same problem, with anything listed

OK, I have been working with this unit all day. I have switched power supply, memory, every board in the pci slots, and hardrive. The only thing I think it can be now is either the processor or the mother board.

I believe is has a cause with malware...

if it happened before than I would rule out malware for now

OK, I have been working with this unit all day. I have switched power supply, memory, every board in the pci slots, and hardrive. The only thing I think it can be now is either the processor or the mother board.

Try the following in its order:1.system restore
2.chkdsk by using recovery console
3.windows repair
4.if all else fails try a clean install coz after all you are looking in the direction of new motherboard or CPU=clean install (I dont believe in format but sometimes thats the only way)

REASON:some of your windows files might be corrupt

???????????

if it happened before than I would rule out malware for now

Try the following in its order:1.system restore
2.chkdsk by using recovery console
3.windows repair
4.if all else fails try a clean install coz after all you are looking in the direction of new motherboard or CPU=clean install (I dont believe in format but sometimes thats the only way)

REASON:some of your windows files might be corrupt

???????????

The hardrive will operate in another computer. Fires right up. Therefor I do not think a clean install will help me.

The hardrive will operate in another computer. Fires right up. Therefor I do not think a clean install will help me.

your hard drive that was put in another machine wasn't made the master(boot up drive), or was it-dont think so.if thats the case then it wasn't using your hard drives OS.Ill recommend that you try what I said.

Cheerz
Sittas

Have u ever used ur laptop while keeping on bed, because of this heat doesnt come out properly...

well wotever u r telling there might be some problem in motherboard.

Have u ever used ur laptop while keeping on bed, because of this heat doesnt come out properly...

well wotever u r telling there might be some problem in motherboard.

the possibility of a bugged mobo is there but what im trying to do is rule it out by strongly advicing what ive mentioned in my post.
I have delt with the problem before and luckily for my company it was the OS.

sittas87:

When I switched drives in these computers it was the only drive that it could boot off of. The suspected bad hardrive booted up perfectly in the known good computer, and the known good hardrive would not boot in the bad computer. Hope I haven't confused you, I'm already getting confused writing it. LOL

after a review of all the posts in this thread, i have a conclusion

1 the computer wont boot, but will in safe mode, which uses default drivers

2 will work in another computer, which also uses default drivers

3 power failure could have caused a corruption in the driver database

this, right now seems to be the best course of action that i can think of....

ok, boot into safe mode COMPLETELY uninstall the videocard drivers, and reinstall them...

make sure you have the drivers before uninstalling them!

Now that I have the corrupt hardrive back into the bad computer, it will not even boot back up in the safe mode.

the possibility of a bugged mobo is there but what im trying to do is rule it out by strongly advicing what ive mentioned in my post.
I have delt with the problem before and luckily for my company it was the OS.

I am facing the same problem in my notebook & when I took it to service center they said the same thing.

sittas87:

When I switched drives in these computers it was the only drive that it could boot off of. The suspected bad hardrive booted up perfectly in the known good computer, and the known good hardrive would not boot in the bad computer. Hope I haven't confused you, I'm already getting confused writing it. LOL

Ohk im with you,all right looks to me like your computer wants to desert you,and now you cant even get into safe mode...lets try the alternative please...lets format(not a fan but lets do it). remember if a format doesn't work then you can almost be certain that its your mobo cos all will then be default
PS i know you pretty much doubt a format,but what else do you have to loose...and theres limited options
Also,backup your data first buddy and post reply after format.

I am facing the same problem in my notebook & when I took it to service center they said the same thing.

believe me I immediately told myself that I had a bugged mobo when I faced the problem but that comp(with its old mobo) is still running good.It just shows you with computers the prob aint always the same darn thing-always find it funny

ok, here is the update. I formatted the hardrive and replace the motherboard. Same results, this thing will shut down during boot up. Now I can atleast get back into safe mode. I am about ready to give up.

ok, here is the update. I formatted the hardrive and replace the motherboard. Same results, this thing will shut down during boot up. Now I can atleast get back into safe mode. I am about ready to give up.

What do youve replaced the motherboard?did you do a clean windows install on the old (problem mobo).cos thats what I recommended

I formatted the hardrive and re-loaded a fresh copy of xp using my other computer. Then I installed the hardrive back into the troubled comp. with the new motherboard.

Thanks

mind me asking why didnt you install the OS while the hard drive was on the current motherboard.
My friend its realy difficult to determine where the problem lies if you switch out parts.I was thought you would install the OS while in its old board for detecting drivers of hardware etc.that would have been wise

my friend I really want to help you here,and i wont find rest until I know for sure your mobo is bugged.
....you say you can now go into safe mode again...is it running smooth without problems when in safe mode?

The reason I re-loaded a fresh copy of xp on my other comp. is because I already had it hooked up to back-up my data. Now I am going to do it all over again, putting another fresh copy of xp on using the new motherboard. I will let you know what happens after that.

Thanks

please do that mr coolio

hey, hey, hey, I think we are back in business!!! Seems to be working just fine.
Thanks to all that helped me.

Coolio

cool man. you're a winner...well done

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.