Member Avatar for sstone6563

Hello all,

I bought a new HP slimline with Vista. I installed Office 95, but found out it wouldn't open files I created with a later edition. I tried to uninstall it, but the software won't uninstall. I did have a Office 2002 Cd, so I tried to install that (and let it replace the older version), but it won't install either. HP help desk had me do something with the regedit (not really sure what), but nothing seems to work. When installing, it just gets stuck on the installing components, but doesn't do anything.

I think it is a little ridiculous, that older versions of Office don't work on Vista, so they make you buy a newer version, but I suppose that is a different forum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,

Office 2003 worked for me on my Vista and you can just download the compatibility patch for it to work with 2007.

Though does seem a bit odd your issue.

Member Avatar for sstone6563

Thanks for your reply. However, my version is Office 2002, not 2003. I've read in other places that it just won't work with Vista. I was hoping for a work around.

MS isn't big on allowing (much) old versions of their products to work on newer OS's. I've read of a couple running Office 2002 Word but having trouble with VBA and Excel/Access functions.

The bigger issue may be getting the Office95 and 2002 uninstalled, the registry cleaned out, and then retrying the Office2002 install.

Did you, per chance, take an image of the machine before the installs?

Hi,

Office 2003 worked for me on my Vista and you can just download the compatibility patch for it to work with 2007.

Agree with Johar75 -- if you don't want Office2007, 2003 works.

Hello all,

I bought a new HP slimline with Vista. I installed Office 95, but found out it wouldn't open files I created with a later edition. I tried to uninstall it, but the software won't uninstall. I did have a Office 2002 Cd, so I tried to install that (and let it replace the older version), but it won't install either. HP help desk had me do something with the regedit (not really sure what), but nothing seems to work. When installing, it just gets stuck on the installing components, but doesn't do anything.

I think it is a little ridiculous, that older versions of Office don't work on Vista, so they make you buy a newer version, but I suppose that is a different forum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My story is almost identical to yours. I tried to install access 95 on my hp notebook running on vista. It refused to load properly and I can't seem to get rid of the residue. I found my old copy of office 2000 but my product key is wrong. I would be happy to get rid of the office 95 version of access from my notebook and just use my pc. Were you ever successful?

A trick I've used to get old software to work in Vista is to see what you can do to run the install as administrator. for instance locate the setup.exe file on the CD, Right click and hope that "Run as Administrator" is in the pop up menu so you can click it, then of course choose allow in the next dialog that appears. Hope this helps!

A trick I've used to get old software to work in Vista is to see what you can do to run the install as administrator. for instance locate the setup.exe file on the CD, Right click and hope that "Run as Administrator" is in the pop up menu so you can click it, then of course choose allow in the next dialog that appears. Hope this helps!

problem is in a couple of error message during set-up. #1 "workgroup administer - setup couldn't create a system mdw file after setup is complete reboot your computer then run workgroup administrator before you run this application (-1011)" It then said "MSJRCLR.DLL was unagle to register itself in the system register" Final message "Setup not completed successfully". When I try to open access (only application I needed) the computer said "out of memory" I have 3.00 gb ram and auto set of virtual memory has allocated 3306 mb for pages... I don't think that there is a shortage of memory. What Next?

problem is in a couple of error message during set-up. #1 "workgroup administer - setup couldn't create a system mdw file after setup is complete reboot your computer then run workgroup administrator before you run this application (-1011)" It then said "MSJRCLR.DLL was unagle to register itself in the system register" Final message "Setup not completed successfully". When I try to open access (only application I needed) the computer said "out of memory" I have 3.00 gb ram and auto set of virtual memory has allocated 3306 mb for pages... I don't think that there is a shortage of memory. What Next?

Try the run as administrator trick when starting Access.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.