When I GO TO my computer and double -click on the C: drive it opens up search instead of opening the C: drive. When I right-click on the C: it shows search first and open second.
How do I fix this so when I double -click it opens the C: drive?
I have Windows XP
Thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Oh man, this's one of those Shell issues...

Double-Click My Computer.
Select Tools menu, Folder Options.
In Folder Options, select File Types & wait.
& wait
& wait.
Bag this, get something to drink.

Now that the list is populated, select the
Drive entry.

Click on the Advanced button. This brings up the Edit File Type dialog.

The Edit File Type dialog should show a list of actions (Open, Explore, Find, etc.)that XP can take for this 'file' type.

On my version, XP Pro, I've got two "Drive Information" entries, one "Find", and one "Open Command Window here" entry. And the 'Edit' button is greyed-out.

Use all the info you find in Folder Options/File Types to go search msdn.microsoft.com for a knowledgebase article on how to fix.

I'm afraid it's gonna mean Registry diving.

When I GO TO my computer and double -click on the C: drive it opens up search instead of opening the C: drive. When I right-click on the C: it shows search first and open second.
How do I fix this so when I double -click it opens the C: drive?
I have Windows XP
Thank you for your time.

Two years on I have the same problem. Is there now an easier answer?
Thanks

i just recently had this same problem. a 'sorta' fix that i made up for this problem is:

go to control panel
folder options
file types
click 'drive'
click 'advanced'
click 'new'
in 'action' type 'Open'
Browse in 'C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32' for Explorer.exe
select Explorer.exe to perform action
click 'ok'
select your new action
press 'set Default'

ok NOTE: this DOES NOT set it back to what it was! it sets it to open a new window every time you select it. if it's just the drives, it shouldn't be too much a problem. i did this for folders... (gah!) i'd be searching for something, and by the time i'm done, i've got 20 windows open... i'm still working on fixing this further.

Your solution works. That's great. Thank you.

Go with
Dortz.

Oh man, this's one of those Shell issues...

Double-Click My Computer.
Select Tools menu, Folder Options.
In Folder Options, select File Types & wait.
& wait
& wait.
Bag this, get something to drink.

Now that the list is populated, select the
Drive entry.

Click on the Advanced button. This brings up the Edit File Type dialog.

The Edit File Type dialog should show a list of actions (Open, Explore, Find, etc.)that XP can take for this 'file' type.

On my version, XP Pro, I've got two "Drive Information" entries, one "Find", and one "Open Command Window here" entry. And the 'Edit' button is greyed-out.

Use all the info you find in Folder Options/File Types to go search msdn.microsoft.com for a knowledgebase article on how to fix.

I'm afraid it's gonna mean Registry diving.

Well, I'd say you hit about a single or possibly a double on that one. Definitely not a home run, and not really enough to get you an RBI. :)
BUT, of the 2 forum postings I've seen after 9 pages of google search results, yours was enough to get me pointed in the right direction. The FULL solution can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

I'd probably suggest following it rather than the other kludge solution mentioned elsewhere in this thread. :)

And if you like the solution, you can pay me back by visiting http://www.joketribe.com and having yourself a few laughs! I especially like the videos!

Good luck!

Occasionally the Registry entry for File Folders (Directories) gets corrupted. One effect of this can be that Search or a Command Prompt opens when you double click on a folder in Explorer, rather than the folder opening. This VB Script will make the necessary change to the system Registry to correct this.

Usage:

Download folder_open.vbs and save this file to your hard drive.

Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file.

A confirmation dialog will appear when finished.

This script can be viewed in Notepad or any text editor, as to the specific Registry key and value that are updated.

Credit to Doug Knox for posting this script at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.