Let me start by saying I do not possess much computer knowledge. I've been under the hood a couple times on limited repairs on the PC built for me by a friend.
I recently unpacked and set up this XP powered PC that had not been used in seven months. Prior to that time it served me well for 5-6 years. Several years ago it was successfully converted from "98" to "XP" and ran smoothly with no problems.
It seemed to be booting up fine, the BIOS read the drives and configuration. But then a DOS message appeared saying, "system boot failed, insert boot disk and press enter."
I don't have a boot disk (dumb, I know) so I inserted the original XP disk.
The attempt to reload XP went ok until it got to the "Welcome To Setup" screen. I pressed enter and got back another message, "did not find any hard disk".
Which left me where I started. BIOS sees hard drives, Windows Setup doesn't. PC sits idle.
If anyone can unravel this problem please do not hesitate. I am frantic.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Make sure that the hard drive is partitioned. put in the xp cd and boot from disk, select repair, then when in repair mode, type "chkdsk /p /r" without quotes. if thats not it, boot from cd select install windows now, at prompt hit F8 to agree, then hit r for repair, select the partition with your instal of windows, and press repair.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.