Initally, when I installed Ghost it changed the settings for when I log on from auto logon to my having to click on my name (I am the sole user).

The real problem first developed when I rebooted my computer after using Norton Ghost 9 for the first time.

Anytime I click on a folder either on the desktop, start menu, or program file I get the error message:
WIndows Explorer has encountered a problem an needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Clicking on details, I get the Error Signature

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1221 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033ec0

When I click to view technical information, I get:

The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\nn\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER43.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Each attempt to open a file gives the same message, except the WER number changes- 1A7 192 193 195 1A8 1AA etc.

I can open individual files or programs without any problem. I get on the internet ok.

I have checked for spyware and viruses.

In safe mode, all folders open without any crashes.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Lee

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Extracting a fresh copy of msvcrt.dll from your Windows install disk might do the trick. Which version of Windows are you running?

I have checked for spyware and viruses.

Which exact anti-virus/anti-spyware programs did you run, and did they find anything? If they did detect and fix problems, tell us the names of the "nasties" if you can remember any of them.

I am running Win XP home. I tried putting in a fresh copy of the DLL but I did not know where to put it.

I am using McAfee Internet Security 6 and SpyBot. They did not find anything.

Keep in mind that in Safemode the folders all open correctly, so the problem has to be something loading in Windows. I tried using MSCONFIG selective and set it so nothing loaded on startup, but I still had the problem. I am guessing something is happening in the registry. But before doing anything there, I want to back up my hard drive. I tried using both Ghost 9 and Drive Image 7 but neither is working. I set it to back up, and it seems to work. Except the bar graph doesnt move hardly (I left them each for over 20 hours and it only went up one notch). I realize my drive is large 250 GB with 189 data) but prior to installing Ghost, Drive Image would make my back up in about 6 hours. My reason for trying Ghost-I was hoping that it would correct a problem I encountered. I have several 200 GB disks but could not make a direct copy-only an image. Even though 189 data could fit on a 200 drive, Drive Image would not allow a copy since the destination was physically smaller.

My system has three hard drives, all are removable. This gives me the versitility to switch my C drive as well as make copies of any other 2 drives.

Thanks again for helping me.

Lee

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.