Multiple IE windows start on my machine and then I get "out of virtual memory" error.
Can somebody tell me how to stop this?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

1st How much physical Memory(RAM) do you have?

I think I should make my question clear. The problem is that the IE windows start by themselves, and I am not sure what does that.

Thanks

Multiple IE windows start on my machine and then I get "out of virtual memory" error. Can somebody tell me how to stop this?

More information, please. Which version of Windows are you running? Are you on dial-up Internet access or always-on DSL or cable? Are your Windows Update patches up-to-date?

Virtual memory is usually (though not always) a reference to the swap-file on your hard drive. Check to see if your hard drive is full, or nearly so.

Are you running a virus checker and firewall? A firewall is needed if running broadband Internet. You may be having a spyware/adware infestation, as well.

Awaiting more info...

Are these popus.... WINDOWS ADDS?
or is just your browser going to your homepage?
(suggestion)Type services.mcs in the run command pannel and make sure the messenger service is turned off or got to
www.BlackViper.com and hit on XPservices

Here is more info:

I am running Windows 2000 pro using dial-up.
Windows update is up to date.
Hard drive has plenty of space, so it is not that.
So like you said it maybe spyware infestation - I can hear increased disk activity when starting up and the system is much slower too.
I am afraid for my privacy/security if that is the case.
What is the best way to detect and remove the offending programs/files?

Thanks.

BIG"B's Linked Online Security FOR XP
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
SOFTWARE
Top Four Security Downloads (you must have them)

Note: All downloads above are worthless without updates

HARDWARE

• ROUTERS
  • Netgear
    RP114, RT314, RT311, MR314, RP334, RP614, MR814, HR314, DG814
  • D-Link
    DI-713P, DI-604
  • Linksys
    BEFSR41 with firmware version 1.43 or later
    BEFSR81 with firmware version 2.42.7.1 or later
    BEFW11S4 with firmware version 1.42.7 or later
  • SMC
    SMC7004ABR
  • Siemens
    SpeedStream 2624 Wireless DSL/Cable Router
  • ECT...
  • Routers built without NAT will serve no protection
  • QUESTION: What is NAT BIG"B"
  • DEFINITION:Network address translation(NAT) is used to remap IP #'s from one address range to another range of network addresses. For TCP and UDP, this also can include the port numbers. The IP#'s/port #'s are changed when a packet is going out through an interface and IP Filter matches it against a NAT rules.
    Packets coming back in the same interface are remapped, as a matter of course, to their original address information.

SUPER SECURITY MEASURES

• SMOOTHWALL
  • QUESTION: What is SMOOTHWALL BIG"B"
  • DEFINITION: SmoothWall is a best-of-breed Internet firewall/router, designed to run on commodity Intel (or compatible) PCs, and to give an easy-to-use administration interface to those using it.
  • SMOOTHWALL.ORG

This has been another BIG"B" PRODUCTION

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.