I have a dell system that runs windows XP.
I recently upgraded my AOL to 9.0 security version. I also downloaded their McAfee antivirus software. I had been using Norton prior.
Yesterday I applied microsofts service pack 2.
Now when I boot up the PC, I can wait maybe 10 - 15 minutes before it comes up.
I didn't think I picked up any virus stuff because of my antivirus software plus sygate personal firewall, but who knows now adays!!
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Obviously, a boot time measured of several minutes indicates some problems, but:

I recently upgraded my AOL to 9.0 security version. I also downloaded their McAfee antivirus software.

Both of those programs usually add very noticeable amount of time to your system startup, especially if you loaded McAfee's full "Interenet Security" package. Personally I'd dump AOL (for all of the bloat it brings to your system, it doesn't really give you anything useful).

2. Did you make absolutely sure that your system was free of viruses, "spyware", and any other problems before you upgraded to SP2? The application of SP2 can greatly magnify problems that might have existed before upgrade. It's sometimes suggested that you treat the upgrade to SP2 in the same way you would a brand new Windows installation: back up your data, reformat your drive, reinstall Windows, and upgrade to SP2 directly after that (that is, before installing any other programs.

3. Did you do some research to verify that the current versions of your installed programs are 100% compatible with SP2? You might have to upgrade some of your software.

4. Go to your Administrative Tools folder and open up Event Viewer. Look through all of the log files for messages/warnings/errors which might help pinpoint the reason(s) for the slowdown.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.