My XP system came with Norton 2003 and I have found it OK but it is due for update and several people have advised me to get another AV programme to back up Norton. Any ideas on one that is reliable, easy to set up (I have tried to download AVG which I found good in the past, but now will not accept registration code I am sent) ? I know there are other free programmes, such as Avast but can they run at the same time as Norton without conflict?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You should only have one antivirus program installed on a machine at any given time.

If you're looking to replace Norton, Avast! is a good substitute.

2 AV software are not happy together. Is MS still giving out free CA EZArmor? I have heard good things about Avast! but have not used it myself.

type in AVG in google search it is a free virus software or you can buy the full version. I think it is grisoft.com. did you use caps it is case sensitive.

Several people have advised me to get another AV programme to back up Norton

Norton doesn't need a backup; may be you meant a replacement. As other falks have said, don't run two AV programs in the same time.

My XP system came with Norton 2003 and I have found it OK but it is due for update and several people have advised me to get another AV programme to back up Norton. Any ideas on one that is reliable, easy to set up (I have tried to download AVG which I found good in the past, but now will not accept registration code I am sent)? I know there are other free programmes, such as Avast but can they run at the same time as Norton without conflict?

I have never had a problem with the keycodes to AVG, but since the registration code is keyed to the email address, simply use a free email addy like from Yahoo! or Opera to request another Key.

I personally use the free version of Grisoft AVG. The link to the free version is on the left side of the page, near the bottom. Not only is is highly effective, but it is much less of a resource hog than either Norton or McAfee.

It's not a good idea to run 2 anti-virus proggies at the same time -- they tussle with each other over hard drive access, interrupts, and other system resources.

Hi,

I clicked into this package believing a FREE programme is FREE to all who download for use

The listing of programmes as FREE is ethically WRONG, totally misleading and false publicity.

The Companies advertising should say - "its free BUT you pay.

A free

Unistall Noton first, than download Microsoft security essentials, a certified windows program, free easy to use. Never caused me a hassle.

I agree with above poster... remove them all and install MSFT Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. With the 2 of those, you won't miss anything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.