Yep there can be a lot just putting in my two cents playing with Disk Keeper. There is a lot I think about it but I will keep that to myself. Knowing MS bought a piece of them and use there stuff in MS Defrag still Disk Keeper man oh man if I can only express how I feel about it. I might be the only one with those thoughts though.

i had same problem.not 100% usage but sometimes a constant 50% (on my 2,2ghz amd) and sometimes peaks from 15 to 90% every 2 seconds..really really annoying
i just reinstalled,no crap,no virus,nthing a perfectly clean system with no weird soft installed...i had zone alarm on and off..no change...

and then I noticed smthing scary..I mostly have this problem when I'm connected to the network/internet !!!
i removed all my antiviruses and firewalls and then activated Windows XP pro own firewall (in netw connec properties) and well never had cpu usage since yesterday it looks like it fixed the problem ??? weird !

I mean why did activating windows firewall fix it?

I removed all my antiviruses and firewalls and then activated Windows XP pro own firewall (in netw connec properties) and well never had cpu usage since yesterday it looks like it fixed the problem ??? weird !

It may have fixed the problem for now, but I would still download and use the free version of
ZoneAlarm, as the XP firewall has no outbound filtering -- Microsoft's attempt to hide its "phone home" stuff.

I only use the XP firewall and Spybots Imunize ,and spyware blaster to keep the spyware from loading into my registry ,Haven't had a problem since i started using this combonation .and I am on cable always connected .

I only use the XP firewall and Spybots Imunize ,and spyware blaster to keep the spyware from loading into my registry ,Haven't had a problem since i started using this combonation .and I am on cable always connected .

Good for you! :rolleyes: I will repeat, for emphasis: the default XP firewall is virtually useless. Spybot - Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster are wonderful -- I use them myself when I use Windows -- but the XP firewall does no outbound filtering, so if something new gets past your defenses (and there's always some new worm/virus/trojan/exploit in the Windows world), you have no way of knowing. At least with outbound filtering you are much more likely to know if some new scumware is phoning home on you...

Yes It is Good for me !! :cheesy:

i keep getting my SVCHOST to start taking 100% of my computer everytime i keep XP on for more than an hour. this is really annoying, i have norton protect always on and i also have zone alarm. i dont get how a virus could get into my computer when i have these two things constantly running. it really doesnt make sense to me. could someone tell me of a program that might help me find this awful thing and get it off of my computer for good, thanks

Seriously if you even have a virus use software like Panada or something else besides McA/Norton.

On the other hand it probadly is Norton and Zone Alarm thats doing it. Doesn't really matter what type of security you have depends on the virus/trojan. Newer ones that just came out your stuff is not going to see it. Now how do you get it? Dont download off KAZAA files like clickme.exe or Staind - Me.mp3.vbs.mp3.vbs come on now.

Also watch your email dude .zip files from people you dont know just drop it dont touch stupid little things that are 30KB in size. Another example Adobe Photoshop 7.0.zip = 300KB in file size. If your smart you dont download little dumb things like this you dont have to worry about it. So chill relax reformat and watch what you download. Thats just my two cents.

Jimmy

So jimmy, i take it you know about downloading software such as "Adobe Photoshop" from kazaa? Isn't that illegal? As far as the 100% CPU Usage goes, i would go as far as to say, it is proberly Norton doing that, i have/use norton 2003 on a weekly basis, and it does the same thing on my amd2800, although, when using amd 8.0 corp, i dont seem to see this issue, in fact, older versions of norton anti-virus, seem to work faster than the newer ones, with both updated and everything, would anyone suggest any good anti-virus programs, maybe newer ones, but work the same speed as norton corp 8.0?

Many Thanks,

Da_fLaRe

I take it your hear to start trouble? Stealing our company name PC MOD KINGDOM?

About kazaa dont forget who used to work at the Business Software Alliance. I can do what I want when I want it. I can download what I want for the sake of BSA.

If you have a problem contact my Boss at 1-888-667-47229 call him and ask for Anothy.

Also Norton is lame get something more powerful.

That's all I have to say dont get under my skin again or for the 2nd time PCMODKINGDOM.NET will be shut off.

I take it your hear to start trouble? Stealing our company name PC MOD KINGDOM?

About kazaa dont forget who used to work at the Business Software Alliance. I can do what I want when I want it. I can download what I want for the sake of BSA.

If you have a problem contact my Boss at 1-888-667-47229 call him and ask for Anothy.

Also Norton is lame get something more powerful.

That's all I have to say dont get under my skin again or for the 2nd time PCMODKINGDOM.NET will be shut off.

Off your meds again, Jimmy? Tsk-tsk! :mrgreen:

That was a year ago haha. Did you notice? hehe

"02-08-2004, 11:19 AM"

Erm, only looks like a couple of months to me... :mrgreen:

Oh yeah Jan werid I was looking at your join date for some reason.

Dementia,

I've split your question into its own thread, which is located here:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=6266

We do ask that members not "tag" their questions on to a thread started by a member, but instead start their own thread- it makes things less confusing that way.

Thanks for understanding :)

The svchost.exe doing the RPC (remote procedure calls) were using 99% cpu on my wifes computer with Windows XP Home making it extremely slow.
The problem always began when Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 was opened for e-mail. And it would not go away until the computer was shut down. :evil:

After some experiments I saw that the problem only occurred if Outlook was started after Windows Messenger (that was always the case since Messenger was set up to run when windows started). :rolleyes:

Finally the problem disappeared when I configured Outlook e-mail and marked the box: "Send/receive immediately when connected" (freely translated from danish). After this Messenger and Outlook could both run in any sequence, with no svchost.exe problems. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.