Hi, My friend has a Compaz Presario 5340. Got Win 98 in it. Been using it for little while til HE got this message when starting up his computer, Here's what it said....Courrpt or missing files C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
" " " C:\Windows\DBLBUFF.SYS
" " " C:\Windows\IFSHELP.SYS

Then saw this at bottom of those on lower screen "Cant find Win.Com"

He cant even boot up from anything. He cant even go in safe mode. Cant do anything. I am sure there's something we can do to fix this. Thanks! :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

You may have to boot from the Win98 disk. If you can do this (see below), then you will probably need to do it for each of the missing files you listed.

Error Message: The File C:\Windows\Himem.sys Is Missing or Corrupted

Article ID:296636Last Review:August 6, 2002Revision:1.0
This article was previously published under Q296636
On this Page

[img]http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/downArrow.gif[/img]SYMPTOMS[img]http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/downArrow.gif[/img]CAUSE[img]http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/downArrow.gif[/img]RESOLUTION[img]http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/kbgraphics/downArrow.gif[/img]MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS

When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message: The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

HIMEM.SYS is missing
Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory.

Windows has stopped. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer.
You may then be unable to start your Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)-based computer.
CAUSE

This issue can occur if the Himem.sys Windows system file is missing or damaged.
RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of the Himem.sys file from your Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE CD:
1.Start your computer with CD-ROM support by using your Windows 98 startup disk.
2.Insert the Windows media into the CD or DVD-ROM drive.
3.Type the following command line (where drive is the drive letter of the CD or DVD-ROM drive), and then press ENTER: drive:For example: D:
Note: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, your Windows installation files may be located in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder on the hard disk.
4.Type the following command line, and then press ENTER: cd\win98
5.Type the following command line, and then press ENTER: extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys
6.After the file is extracted, restart your computer.
MORE INFORMATION

For additional information about extracting Windows files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

Rueful Rogue has the key to replacing those missing files.

One suggestion though...

Once you boot to the CD I would look at the C: drive and make sure you still have a Windows folder as well as some other folders before worrying about extracting the missing files.

Files do not delete themselves...

Rueful Rogue has the key to replacing those missing files.

One suggestion though...

Once you boot to the CD I would look at the C: drive and make sure you still have a Windows folder as well as some other folders before worrying about extracting the missing files.

Files do not delete themselves...

I booted to CD and I dont know where or how to look at the C: drive. I did what I was supposed to do by typing this... D:\extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys Teh I get the error msg that says INVALID SWITCH so I tried doing different ways and get BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME. Hmmm.. Feels so dumb when I cant get this to work..:confused:

5.Type the following command line, and then press ENTER: extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys

Did you complete step 4 above BEFORE doing step 5? If you're not in the win98 directory, the computer cannot find the files.

D:\extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys Teh I get the error msg that says INVALID SWITCH

Drop the "\" after D:

OK I did Typed cd\win98. But I think I see where the problem is, It's that \ after the D: Ok, I will let you know how it goes. Man feels stupid over that \ lol.

Basically, after you boot to the cd and you are at the D:\ prompt

you type C:\
It responds C:\

you type DIR /w/p
It responds with a listing of files and folders on your drive C:\
you Should need to hit enter a few times to list all of the files and folders on your PC

If you do not see a folder for Windows and Program~1 etc then you have lost more than the startup config files...

ok Here goes... I typed C: , it sayds invailid command so I typed D: , it said same thing So Finally I typed F:\cd\win98 and it took me to this F:win98> Here's where I got confused. I typed like this F:win98>Extract /a/y/e/l (not sure whether to put C: or D: or , I am lost right here) windows base4.cab himem.sys, After I typed any of those c: or D: in there, I keep getting that message "invalid switch /a/y/e/l" So when I put that F: in there after typing, It just went to F:win98>

Not sure if it wa ssupposed to do that or not. I got 3 files all together missing, Do I have to put all 3in before restarting or have to do it one by one? Wow, I know I am not thinking correctly. I know I will kick myself in the ass after I find out how easy it's done right way.

Obviously, your disk drive must be "F:", so once you get to the F:win98> then you type the command in just like it appears above, assuming that your hard drive where your operating system resides is designated "C:".

In the line extract /a /y /e /l c:\windows base4.cab himem.sys since you are already on the F: drive and in the win98 directory, the "extract" command is telling your computer to go there to get the file himem.sys and the C: is where it is telling it to put it. Hope that explains it.

As for missing files, I think you should be able to repeat the extract command two more times but change the file name each time, and then re-boot. If that doesn't work, then it'll have to be re-booted each time, and then repeat, re-boot, etc.

Even with those three files if you don't have win.com you dont have an OS...

Just to help you get there faster here are the three files you are trying to extract...

Copy these over then we can move on ...

Even with those three files if you don't have win.com you dont have an OS...

Just to help you get there faster here are the three files you are trying to extract...

Copy these over then we can move on ...

OK, I did what you said and still cannot get anything done. I keep seeing several messages. One it says "Invailid switch" the other is Cannot find WIN.COM so I ran scanreg and found out that it cant fix it and that I would have to install Window to new directory? Hmmm. Am I getting closer to find out what the problem is? I think I am.:(

As I suspected earlier, you have lost more than a couple drivers.

If you can beg or borrow a hard drive I would like to see you move your existing drive to a slave or secondary master and install a temp drive as primary master.

Once that was done you could install a basic windows setup on the primary and copy important info to this temp drive.

I see two possibilities:

Your existing system has a virus which wiped out your OS

Your existing hard drive is failing

Files dont delete themselves by accident...

By moving your existing drive to a slave position you lessen the possibility of triggering a virus. Installing Windows to a new directory and trying to run old programs could just put you back in the loop you are in now.

I would not put your drive into another system to do your backup for fear of contaminating that system should the problem be a virus...

As I suspected earlier, you have lost more than a couple drivers.

If you can beg or borrow a hard drive I would like to see you move your existing drive to a slave or secondary master and install a temp drive as primary master.

Once that was done you could install a basic windows setup on the primary and copy important info to this temp drive.

I see two possibilities:

Your existing system has a virus which wiped out your OS

Your existing hard drive is failing

Files dont delete themselves by accident...

By moving your existing drive to a slave position you lessen the possibility of triggering a virus. Installing Windows to a new directory and trying to run old programs could just put you back in the loop you are in now.

I would not put your drive into another system to do your backup for fear of contaminating that system should the problem be a virus...

SO the best way to go about this is to just do a clean reinstall and start over? Dont really have anything important that needed to be saved. I was thinking about virus but thought , Couldnt be bec my friend use updated Avast antivirus. But, Then again we can never know with viruses. Now the question is should I do a clean reinstall and start over? Thanks for your time with me on this.:cry:

The short answer is YES...

Start with format :

Reboot to the CD and do a fresh install...

The short answer is YES...

Start with format :

Reboot to the CD and do a fresh install...

Allright, Can you give me step by step on how to format 160 GB hard drive?

Here are directions from Microsoft's support site. At the very bottom of the article are two links that are of importance to you (along with this tutorial). The first is "How to Use Fdisk and Format to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk " and the second one is "How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System " which will be your case after you reformat. Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;126855 which is titled "Windows Support For Large IDE Hard Disks".

Here are directions from Microsoft's support site. At the very bottom of the article are two links that are of importance to you (along with this tutorial). The first is "How to Use Fdisk and Format to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk " and the second one is "How to Install Windows 98 on a Computer with No Operating System " which will be your case after you reformat. Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;126855 which is titled "Windows Support For Large IDE Hard Disks".

Hi, I just finished reformatted the harddrive and did a clean install of that WIN 98. It's working fine now. Wonder what cause it to have missing files? Virus? Or someone accidently deleted those files? Thanks for helping me with this. Learning something new everyday. Thanks!

I'm glad everything is working OK now. You should take the following precautions immediately, if you haven't already done so.
1- Install a good antivirus program, make sure it's up to date, and run it regularily. I use Norton Anti-Virus, but you can get a free AV program which is good at
2- If you are on anything except a 56 Kbps dial-up connection, get a firewall immediately. If you have a highspeed connection (DSL, Cable, Wireless), then I'd stop using my PC until I could get and install a firewall. If you have to do things on your PC which does not involve the Internet, simply disconnect from your ISP by pulling the plug before using your PC.
3- Get some anti-spyware installed and use it. Go here for some good advice and links to free stuff which is recommended by this forum.

Now that you have your PC running smoothly, these programs will keep it that way. Set up a schedule and update your freeware regularily and run it regularily.

I'm glad everything is working OK now. You should take the following precautions immediately, if you haven't already done so.
1- Install a good antivirus program, make sure it's up to date, and run it regularily. I use Norton Anti-Virus, but you can get a free AV program which is good at
2- If you are on anything except a 56 Kbps dial-up connection, get a firewall immediately. If you have a highspeed connection (DSL, Cable, Wireless), then I'd stop using my PC until I could get and install a firewall. If you have to do things on your PC which does not involve the Internet, simply disconnect from your ISP by pulling the plug before using your PC.
3- Get some anti-spyware installed and use it. Go here for some good advice and links to free stuff which is recommended by this forum.

Now that you have your PC running smoothly, these programs will keep it that way. Set up a schedule and update your freeware regularily and run it regularily.

Yeah That was the first thing I did right after installing that WIN 98. I installed AVAST! anti-virus, ZoneAlarm firewall, SpyBot Search&Destroy, Ad-Aware SE and CWshredder. I updated all of them and ran them and made sure everything is ok. Seems like it ran smoother than it did before. Thanks again for your help. :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.