Hi everyone. Ok, I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop with a basic CD-RW / CD-R / DVD-ROM drive. Recently, I've noticed its sorta, not reading stuff. Now, the laptop isn't that old....... maybe a little under a year and I don't burn much cd's with it. Would the burner be going out already? Because, when I put a CD in, it won't autoplay or nothing, the CD icon won't even change when I'm in My Computer. But when I double click the CD icon, it'll open and show me on the cd. And it won't even detect if I have a CD-RW in the drive so it won't let me format it, erase it or nuthin.

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ty274

Hi

It sound like that there could be a problem with the drivers for the Drive, try uninstalling it through control panel - add/remove hardware. Then reinstall them, though Windows should autodetect it and it might well have solved the issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 also. I know this sounds like an oversimplification, but have you tried re-seating the drive in the drive bay? It's possible that over time the connections from the drive to the chasis may have come loose.

I'm having a problem alot like this.

re-seating the drive in the drive bay

how would I do this?

try uninstalling it through control panel - add/remove hardware. Then reinstall them, though Windows should autodetect it and it might well have solved the issue

If i uninstall it, its still on my system right? because I have no CD or anything to reinstall the drive.

Yep...It is still installed.

There are few to none of those type of hardware items that need specific drivers. You can pop it in and out without worries :mrgreen:

try uninstalling it through control panel - add/remove hardware. Then reinstall them, though Windows should autodetect it and it might well have solved the issue

no luck :(

"Sounds like the drive is dead ,
does this happen with all of the Cds you put in the drive?"

Yup

"Sounds like the drive is dead ,
does this happen with all of the Cds you put in the drive?"

Yup

wait, I have a DVD/CD drive combination but DVDs still work. Is it possible for onlt the CD drive part to be dead?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.