I have had the following problem for over 2 years now and would love some new suggestions :-

When starting my IE6 Sp1, browsing via dialup sessions, or lately ADSL, works perfectly for about 5 minutes, but then my IE 'freezes' for about 1 minute, during which I cannot do anything with the browser window like clicking on any buttons etc, also, during this time, if I try to type a new URL into the address bar, each character is only added after a severe delay.

Then, all of a sudden, everything springs back into life and all is normal again, with good all round browsing performance.

Another interesting thing to note is that I can conect to my mail using Outlook Express6 during this 'frozen' period with no problems at all.

I have tried different modems, repairing my IE6 install, downloading all of the microsoft updates, totally rebuilding my machine from the hard-disc up, all to no avail.

My PC is a Compaq EVO P1200 with 384M Ram 80GiG HDD and win 98SE running. My PC is otherwise quite reliable and stable.

Finally, I have extensively scanned for Spyware and Viruses and everything should be spottless-clean.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS SORT OF PROBLEM ????

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It sounds to me like you have a number of programs set to auto-update whenever you connect. Auto-update would be good for your antivirus program if you don't think you can remember to do it manually, but most other things should either be set to update manually, or use Task Scheduler to have them update at different times.

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I know, I have switched auto-update off everything, as I don't like stuff going on without my intervention !

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I know, I have switched auto-update off everything, as I don't like stuff going on without my intervention !

Good idea! In that case, you may have some malware on your system that is doing it without your knowledge. Follow the suggestions in this thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

If the problem doesn't go away, post a HijackThis log (explained in that thread) in the Security forum for some help identifying the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.