So, here's my issue. I want to buy an EEE PC with Windows. But I want to replace the hard drive. Any advice on how to copy XP on to the new drive?

Thanks,
Nick

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Nick I hate to bust your bubble but it is illegal to "clone" XP or any microsoft products.

Really? So theoretically, making bootable backups is illegal?

> I want to buy an EEE PC with Windows.
Does it come with a licenced copy of windows on CD?
Does it have the authentication sticker, containing the 25-character code?

If so, you're good. Any XP installation CD will do, all you need is the authentication code for that machine.

You're allowed a certain number of "upgrades" to your machine before MS decides that the original old machine and the current new machine are too different.

Norton Ghost is the one of the most commonly used disk cloning tools, although you can do it yourself manually if you copy all the files over, then boot from the XP recovery console (from the XP install CD) and use 'fixmbr' to make the whole thing bootable.

Nick I hate to bust your bubble but it is illegal to "clone" XP or any microsoft products.

Look, I hate to burst your bubble, but that's just BS.

But would you really want to clone someone elses "I want to buy an EEE PC with Windows" installation?
Who knows what sort of crap has accumulated.

A new HD is an excellent opportunity for a nice fresh start.

So, here's my issue. I want to buy an EEE PC with Windows. But I want to replace the hard drive. Any advice on how to copy XP on to the new drive?

Thanks,
Nick

does the eee-pc actually have a hardrive ,thought them things used flash drive technology ,i know some of them do that's how they get them so small !

EDIT : Google search find this info,
this site boast,no moving parts and solid state harddrive .
http://www.futurelooks.com/impressions-of-the-asus-eee-pc-notebook-computer/

8GB Solid State Drive http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Solid-state-drive-internal/dp/B000EWBW7O

Cloning the XP disc is Illegal no doubt. As for cloning your old harddrive I'm not completely sure, although I am pretty sure if you are cloning the operating system as part of that then yes that is illegal.

However, this is not the easiest thing to do because although most of the OS is on the hard drive there are some very significant parts of it on the ROM.

So simply.... buy XP (its not too expensive anymore) and copy your stuff across.... don't play with illegal things, because it may be hard to find someone to go to if it goes wrong!

Alright, let's take a look at the XP (Home) EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from which the Software is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting and Remote Assistance features described above, a license for the Software may not be shared or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.

Seems to me that cloning a hard disk is not only legal, but you can also do the same with the XP disc. The only restriction is that you can't be running the software on more than one machine (but you don't need to clone XP to do that).

I know that windows only allows one activation key to be in use at a time.

John: cloning is illegal if the manufacturer doesn't allow it.

>I know that windows only allows one activation key to be in use at a time.
Yes, that's partially correct. The normal retail editions that consumers buy required activation and therefore their activation key could only be used in one computer. Volume-licensed editions of XP (for use on networks), however, require no activation.

>John: cloning is illegal if the manufacturer doesn't allow it.
Too lazy to read my post, huh? The XP EULA does specifically allow for cloning:

1.5 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Software on your other Workstation Computers over an internal network

Last time I checked, a 'storage device' includes hard drives. Or do you want to debate that with me too?

Not only that, but the US copyright law allows for 'fair use', which usually includes making one personal backup copy of the software. That's cloning.

"Cloning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
Cloning in biotechnology refers to processes used to create copies of DNA fragments (molecular cloning), cells (cell cloning), or organisms. More generally, the term refers to the production of multiple copies of a product such as digital media or software."

Cloning and backing up, while involving the same process, can not be considered the same thing.

Man you really want to challenge me don't you john? a storage device like a server is what the EULA says. Yes you could consider a hard drive a storage device but it is an active in use storage device. I think you may have copied that EULA from a multi licensed version cause I don't think thats what the one license per computer version says. They don't want you running two versions at once with the same license. Yes you can make a backup every company allows that. A backup in no way means backing it up to another hard drive that also runs it; it means putting it on a form of storage (like a cd or dvd) for later use in case of a emergency.

Yes you could consider a hard drive a storage device but it is an active in use storage device.

Agreed. The question is if you clone the drive, will you still be running the old computer aswell. If so that is illegal without a doubt. Otherwise it seems to be legal if you only intend to use one copy of windows at a time.

However, it would be much better performance wise if you reinstall everything and forget about the cloning business.

Another thing to point out is if the windows genuine advantage system even suspects it may be a copied version of windows then it will drive you insane until you buy a new copy.

>Cloning and backing up, while involving the same process, can not be
>considered the same thing.
The process of backing up involves cloning to some degree. When you copy a file, you're cloning the bytes that represent the file. To a greater degree, a backup of a bootable software disc such as Windows XP implies disc cloning, as simply copying files on the disc would render the disc unbootable.

>a storage device like a server is what the EULA says.
Servers don't have hard drives? :icon_rolleyes:

>I think you may have copied that EULA from a multi licensed version
Instead of making wild guesses, you could... hmm, nah I'll just give you the link and let you see for yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

>They don't want you running two versions at once with the same
>license. Yes you can make a backup every company allows that. A
>backup in no way means backing it up to another hard drive that
>also runs it; it means putting it on a form of storage (like a cd or
>dvd) for later use in case of a emergency.
You're confused. Cloning hard drives doesn't imply running the hard drives concurrently on different machines, it means cloning -- just that. In many cases cloning is used for backups, in other cases it's used when upgrading hard drives (and the user doesn't want to reinstall from scratch).

Obviously if you don't own enough licenses for the number of running instances of XP, you're breaking the law, but like I've said already, the act of cloning isn't illegal. You could just use the XP install disc multiple times, and you'd be a criminal, plain and simple.

Thanks,
Nick

Sorry, I think John A might be right... we do appear to have gone rather of topic.

Yes Korento, You can LEGALLY clone your hard drive onto an upgrade as long as you don't use the two at the same time.

Now I don't actually know of any hard disk cloning packages however some people will. If you want to clone an XP disc (to keep a backup of it) then you can use a program like Alcohol 120%. However the second you install XP on a second machine that is in use at the same time as you original machine you are breaking the EULA.

Sorry John A I think people realise what you are saying and we all understand what the various terms mean but I believe the argument (or discussion) is continuing because we are all talking about slightly different things.

and because the eee-pc uses a solid state flash disk of sorts its going to be harder to clone it ,will need to clone to external device i assumme .

and because the eee-pc uses a solid state flash disk of sorts its going to be harder to clone it ,will need to clone to external device i assumme .

A fun Sunday afternoon project:
http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades#Flash_drive

(Note: while they don't actually replace the hard drive, they effectively add another 4 GB to the computer's internal Flash solid state memory.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.