hi all,
I have a problem. I have added a PC running W2000 which I was updating for a customer to my network. This way I could access it from my own desktop. Part of this installation is that the PC needed CTRL-ALT-DEL + user/password to access the network. This user and password I have created and are known.

After finishing the work I updated the customer's PC so it would no longer be part of the network. I removed the network definition and restarted the PC. But now it asks for a W2000 user + password (not for the network); since the machine used to startup without popping up I have no idea which user/password to use. The customer is also not aware since he never uses a user/password.

Is there a way to solve this? Any help would be immensely appreciated since I have to have everything working tomorrow to prevent looking more than a fooll than I already do.

Ron (from the Netherlands)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What did you update that made it not belong to the network. Did you un join it from a domain. Did you try Administrator no password?

Maybe you can gain control again by logging in Safe Mode as Administrator and hoping no password is required.

administrator would have the same pw safe mode or no safe mode

Maybe you can gain control again by logging in Safe Mode as Administrator and hoping no password is required.

pretty much tried everything I can think off. The machine was delivered without a user prompt but since I unconnected it from my server network I suddenly need a user/password. Don't understand why. Safe mode is also user/pw required and safe mode with command prompt does not work.

Did you un-join it from a domain. Then yes it probably had a administrator password set and now you don't know it so you can't login and you can't use the one you set cause there is no domain to authenticate to. By default if the password was not setup during the original install of windows 2000 then it would be administrator no password.

yes, thats what I thought, but no luck..:-(

tomorrow morning (its 23:24 now) I will contact the guy who built the image. You are always reuired to set a user , right? my hope is on him now... cheers for the help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.