Hello :)

My problem is not about Internet Explorer, but about two others. I am using Netscape Navigator as my default browser since several years, currently version 7.1. However now i wish to try out the much-hyped Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail program. I downloaded both.

However when i click on either Setup file, it instead opens with "Netscape 7.1 Setup"!

I do not wish to get rid of Netscape (haven't used it's mail application, going with Outlook Express only so far) because it is a browser i am familiar with. Is there a way to have both Netscape AND Firefox on the same machine?

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I dont see why not. Netscape is really FIREFOX 8000 years down the line. Maybe it's time to try www.mozilla.com. I think it is time to move on my friend just some friendly advice.

Hi :)
Ya i am just in there and have registered at their forum as well. I don't think that Netscape is that outdated, i have heard lots of people complaining it to be "slow" and whatever, well none of that here.... compared with IE, my Netscape is a well-greased lightning bolt, and i never ran into any problem with sites not willing to open or Java crashing or whatever. I am using the current version since half a year or so, and never cought a trojan, virus etc... never been hijacked (yes, i DO visit web sites known for doing that) and therefor, i wish to keep Newtscape at least untill i really tested Firefox.

Hence, as long as i didn't find a way to have them both on my PC, Firefox will be left out.........

Kind regards

Thanh

Hi :)
Ya i am just in there and have registered at their forum as well. I don't think that Netscape is that outdated, i have heard lots of people complaining it to be "slow" and whatever, well none of that here.... compared with IE, my Netscape is a well-greased lightning bolt, and i never ran into any problem with sites not willing to open or Java crashing or whatever. I am using the current version since half a year or so, and never cought a trojan, virus etc... never been hijacked (yes, i DO visit web sites known for doing that) and therefor, i wish to keep Newtscape at least untill i really tested Firefox.

Hence, as long as i didn't find a way to have them both on my PC, Firefox will be left out.........

Kind regards

Thanh

I have had all 3 on at one time and don't see why you are having aproblem installing firefox.The more popular firefox becomes the more proplems it will have just like IE! Sometime in the near future someone is going to make a big money offer and it will be SOLD :)just like netscape was !
I would suggest deleting the setup and downloading it again to your deskto and run the install from the desktop .Firefox Download

Yeah maybe just redownload it at www.getfirefox.com and see what happens maybe just a bad setup file or a bad install I say redownload and try again it should work.

I have had all 3 on at one time and don't see why you are having aproblem installing firefox...

Agreed. I can't say where your problem lies either, but I can say that I had Netscape (version 7.1 at the time) installed on one of my computers and then later installed both Firefox and Mozilla without any problem; all three browsers have been working fine on the machine since then. As suggested, a re-download might be worth a try.

Hello again :)

Ya in the meantime i got it working. Someone on Firefox forum could help me with a link to a ZIP file which did the trick. it seemed that the installer picked up some Netscape file from some Temp folder which i was unable to find, however now it's up and running, yup, also all three of them but IE never used :)

Kind regards.....

your Thanh

Glad you got sorted out :)

WTF? You got the answer to your problem, and took the time to post to the forum, but didn't post the link to the zip file? C'mon. I'm having exactly the same problem and have been searching Google and Altavista and this is the only mention of the problem I've found anywhere.

Proper etiquette requires that you post the solution to a problem like that.

Okay....for lack of being able to find help for this ANYWHERE on the web I just had to sort it out myself. I did get it working, though, so I'll share what I did.

I figured that it was picking up some temporary file that was used during the Netscape installation.

So first I reinstalled Netscape 7.2 (which can still be found if you do a google search for it).

Then I cleaned out my Temp files folder. First I used Disk Cleanup (Windows XP). Click Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup

I checkmarked the following: temporary internet files, downloaded program files, setup log files, temporary files
- Click OK

Next I went to the folder C:\TEMP. As you might expect Windows XP's disk cleanup leaves some stuff behind. I made a folder in here called BACKUP (C:\TEMP\BACKUP). I moved all the files in the TEMP folder into the TEMP\BACKUP folder.

Now I restarted the computer. Once it restarts hold down or repeated press the F8 key until you get to a startup menu with options to START NORMALLY, START IN SAFE MODE, START IN SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, etc. Choose to start in Safe Mode with Networking (no internet without networking). Once in Safe Mode go to the Add/Remove Programs menu (Start-->Control Panel-->Add or Remove Programs) and remove Netscape.

Now run the Firefox setup file you downloaded and it will install normally. Once it's done installing reboot your computer to get back into normal mode. You don't need to press the F8 key again. It will automatically restart back in Normal Mode without you telling it to.

For all I know it would have worked just fine without doing any of the stuff with the emp files and just booted into Safe Mode. Or maybe once I removed the temp files it would have worked fine without needing to go into Safe Mode. But these are the steps I took, and they worked the way I did them.

My guess is that this will fix your update problem you've been having that I saw in another thread.

Hello :)

Thank you for the hints. I had alreaduy forgotten about these threads since the pronlem was solved.... however, the trick with safe mode did not work in my case, i tried that too.

Even after installing (more "copying") the contents of the zip that i downloaded, i could not update bFirefox - the same old problem occured again, but i was able to dopwnload an entire new version of Firefox which to my surprise installed without problems. Since then also updates work :)

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.