I need help too ...Can anyone help...

Can anyone please help me. I have a Packard Bell Computer and have all the books but the Windows 98 book with the authenticity code on it. I reformatted the computer and guess what?? You got it, it asked for the Authenticity code for windows 98. I cant find the book grrrrrr. What is one to do? I went to the Packard Bell site and can't seem to find anywhere that can help me with waht I need. The software came with the computer. What does one do in that case? Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This happened to me once with an eMachine; I called tech support and they gave me the number right over the phone, perhaps Packard Bell can do the same thing.

NOW I write all numbers right on the CD's with a permanent marker as soon as I get them!

You could have gotten the number from your registry before you reformatted, but it's too late for that now. The only things I know of that you can do now are either find your code or get it from Packard Bell (or buy another one).

Try goiong to Packard Bell ..Tell me who I should contact for information. Cant seem to find anywhere for me to conatact anyone : ( I am in the USA..

I don't think packard Bell's around anymore... your only legal option now would be to purchase a new license of 98 from someone...

As a Matter of fact I DO have anotehr copy of Windows 98 I bought a long time ago and isnt presently being used on any computer and yes it does have the key on it lol..Now my question is this, I put the cd in the drive shut down computer, restart and the cd will not load. The old screen comes up asking for the product key for the old windows 98. Anyway to get this cd to load from dos so I can install and bypass this screen? From dos how can I find the product key? I know there is a way form the dos cmmand but need the command to access it. anyone know the string in dos to access this info on the computer?

There probably is a way to get it in DOS, but I don't know how. Can't you just reformat and start over with the Win98 you have the Key for? Might be quicker.

The problem is I already reformatted before anyone told me that thye didn't have the book with the key on it. So your saying reformat again? I will look at prompt and see what happens. I was trying to get the win 98 cd to load at boot but that screen comes up instead for the key. I put in the key to the new copy of qin98 bu it says it is invalid., still old win 98.

The problem is I already reformatted before anyone told me that thye didn't have the book with the key on it. So your saying reformat again? I will look at prompt and see what happens. I was trying to get the win 98 cd to load at boot but that screen comes up instead for the key. I put in the key to the new copy of qin98 bu it says it is invalid., still old win 98.

Yes, unfortunately, I'm suggesting you reformat again. With the CD you have the Key for, you shouldn't have any trouble (fingers crossed :) ).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.