Hello people...I've got a slight problem. I have recently dual booted XP pro and Vista Ultimate,both 32 bit. I have done dual boots before,without any problems...but this time I have something I need to straighten out. They are on the same drive that is partitioned.(Win XP is primary) When I boot up I have the option of "Earlier version of windows"(XP) or "Vista". If I choose Vista..it boots up Vista no prob. If I choose "earlier version of windows" it takes me to ANOTHER dual boot screen where I can chose from "Win XP Pro" or "Win Xp Pro" haha....The first option works,the second(bottom XP choice) doesnt. Whats goin on? Now..it's not affecting anything at all..it just bothers me a bit,and I'd like to get it sorted out. Any knowledge to throw my way? Thanks for your time.

Sys Specs.
Gateway GT5220
AmD Athlon 64x2 3800+
3GB ram
Nvidia 6150LE
XP Pro
Vista Ultimate,both 32 bit
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 AM2 uBTX 1394 Motherboard

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Yea thanks cguan..I feared it was a bootloader prob. For some reason this really confuses me...I will continue to read the link,but in the meantime,maybe someone can look at my Boot.ini that I pasted here.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I have an XP restore partition I:/ XP is on C:/ and Vista is D:/

Out Of The Two "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" entries, just delete one(the one which doesn't work)

e.g.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1 or 2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Make sure you delete the one which doesn't work, in your case i guess the second one..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.