i have been having trouble windows me whenever i try to install a usb storage device like a jump driver pro or other such mass storage device, have zip drives and peerless iomega drivers working perfectly, but if i try installing a jump drive (key ring drive by lexar) the installation plug and play hangs forever after updating hardward database and then i have a devil of a time ever getting windows me to boot up again.

lexar website says no drivers are necessary for windows me -- funny thing is this drive works perfectly on my windows 98sse laptop and at work in windows 2000 machine, but in windows me , just hoses my system -- afraid to plug it in again.

question

1) how can i "uninstall this hardware driver" and start over? there are a lot of usb drivers/drives listed under my computer hardware properties -- afraid of removing all of them -- what is the downside of removing all of them and starting over with usb installation of drives from scratch (last resort i guess

2) any of this sound familiar to anyone else.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you can remove the usb root hubs and usb univirsal adapter,and others that are there from device manager and reboot computer and windows will reinstall them

Have you tried a different USB port? My CD Writer only works in USB2 for some reason but it isn't a big deal. Just thinking aloud here

best bet is to ger rid of windows me >.> and upgrade to a better os

other than that, when you plug a usb device in the for first time it gets autmatcily installed, so if you remove the devices and reboot, if they all dont come back at the startup, just plug them ina gain :)

i have been having trouble windows me whenever i try to install a usb storage device like a jump driver pro or other such mass storage device, have zip drives and peerless iomega drivers working perfectly, but if i try installing a jump drive (key ring drive by lexar) the installation plug and play hangs forever after updating hardward database and then i have a devil of a time ever getting windows me to boot up again.

Some USB chipset drivers are incompatible with some hardware. This is especially true with certain SiS chipsets. What do you have?

In the case of the SiS chipset, going to the generic USB device drivers (Standard PCI to USB Host Controller) may solve the problem. A similar solution fixed a problem with a USB hub being intermittently recognized by my VIA southbridge on my current system.

thanks for the replies, have been traveling and has tons of trouble getting to the forum.

i'm processing your questions and trying your tips this week.

thanks for the quick response and sorry for my late reply.

jreyes1, before you go ripping out the usb root hubs in DevMgr/Universal Serial Bus Controllers make sure you have all the device drivers for your usb devices - the root hub will automatically re-install on boot up as caperjack mentions but you'll need to install the drivers for the devices yourself. helps if your using a ps/2 mouse/keyboard when you rip out the root hubs btw.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.