Hi - XP laptop (genuine, not pirated) froze today - now constantly reboots. It goes through the motion of rebooting - I see the windows XP screen with the little "meter" thing running, then it tells me that it wasn't shut down properly before so offers me options - safe mode, safe mode in networking, normal mode etc - but no matter what I do, it starts booting up and hangs at agp440.sys (I think) and then reboots again - goes on and on doing this and will not go any further. I am on a sailboat in the caribbean - this laptop has all our charts etc. so it's vital for us - but we can't go to a shop to get it fixed and we don't have the installation disk with us - we have other install disks for other laptops but stupid us, we didn't bring the disks for THIS laptop..... HELP - anybody got ideas????????? This happens regardless of whether it is plugged into mains or running on battery power. HELP!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

To resolve this issue, you need to disable the Agp440.sys service.
It should be alright to use any install Windows install disk as long as it is the right OS. So if you have one from one of the other laptops it should work.

This is from a MS problem article solution, follow the steps:
Here is the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

I would suggest this, check your memory. shut the laptop down, and with a pencil eraser, clean the memory(like erasing only the gold part) I had the same problem and fixed it like that.
let us know if it worked.

this would have been a great solution IF I had the original XP disk with me - unfortunately that's back home in Florida - I know, I'm an idiot, I should have brought it - but without the recovery or installation disk, there's nothing I can do. I have saved this information for future use though, it is very helpful, thank you I really appreciate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.