Hi, I think this is the right place to post this question, if not, please let me know :)
I am running Windows XP Home and recently have been battling the adware/spyware/evilness, but suddenly now have a problem with Microsoft word that I don't think is related..maybe.
I was working on a new document (hadn't saved yet, of course) and I got a message with:
'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' in the title bar and
'Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
Abnormal Program Termination' in the window and the choice to push 'OK'.
Any thoughts as to what is causing this? I have no other programs open and was just typing (I actually think I was going to save it and close the program, but didn't get to because of the error). When I pull word up again I get the document recovery section to the left with the option to click on my last document (what it saved of it anyway) and when I open it to save that, it does the error thing again.
I appreciate any help anyone can give me about this, I was typing something that I wanted to turn in today, but looks like that won't happen :)
Thanks again.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You might have a corrupted word template (probly not but its worth a try). Follow the instructions I quoted Catweazle.

You've probably got a corrupted normal.dot file.

Close down all instances of Word (and any other programs which use Word plugins, such as Internet Explorer and Outlook). Then use 'Search' on the Start menu to locate the file normal.dot

Rename it to normal.old then start up Word. A new normal.dot file will be created, with default settings.

I figured it out I got the same error go to Add/remove programs and find microsoft office works add-in (something simmlar) and remove it and reboot.

You might have a corrupted word template (probly not but its worth a try). Follow the instructions I quoted Catweazle.

I found this thread while searching for a solution to the Visual C++ Library error problem with Microsoft Word. Your solution was right on.

Thanks a bunch.
:)

I had exactly the same problem as daosue (Runtime library....abnormal program termination); tried OurNation's 1st method (corrupted word template) ~ no joy; 2nd method (remove M/S Works add-in) --> result!
Brilliant. How on earth did you work that one out? Will I ever need the Works add-in in the future?

Hi,

Word will automatically generate some backup files: .bak files, you can try to change the .bak file into .doc file and see whether it works. If this still doesn't work, I think you can look for some professional services. You can try a utility called Advanced Word Repair to repair your Word document. It works rather well for my corrupt Word documents. It is not free, so can be tried in the end.

Alan

I figured it out I got the same error go to Add/remove programs and find microsoft office works add-in (something simmlar) and remove it and reboot.

Big Thanks to you,
This solution helped me solve the problem at a customer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.