i got this mesage "Windows cuold not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows set up using the original Setup CD ROM.... thats when i added a 500 MB RAM on the laptop of my wife coz it only has 256 MB of RAM...at first it was running fine then it stop and that message appears..tried to remove the 500MB mem card that i installed and had another 256 MB of RAM installed and it worked fine...is the mem card giving me that prob message?doesnt it just supposed to give the laptop a big MB of RAM and just run???i need help coz i really want to use that 500 MB of RAM coz i just borrowed the other 256 MB or RAM on my sisters laptop...anny suggestions will be very much appreciated....

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

what is the type of laptop? Acer? Dell? etc....give us the model number.

laptop is SHARP CS30J

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP/Vista startup disks or the Windows XP/Vista CD/DVD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP/Vista installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD/Vista DVD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD/Vista DVD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Fix Windows Vista Errors

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP/Vista startup disks or the Windows XP/Vista CD/DVD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP/Vista installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD/Vista DVD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD/Vista DVD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Fix Windows Vista Errors

tnx for this info,but i found out that you cannot mix SD RAM with DRAM coz it has different speed,so i just pulled out my SD RAM and got another DRAM to make it work,and its working fine now..tnx for the help and suggestions.....you guys have been so helpful....ciao!!!!

hello!!! i just want to install windows 7 in my brother's pc...but whenever setup is tends to complete then there is some problem occur and machine is restarted......the problem shown as "driver/ntfs.sys is missing or corrupted"........the config of the pc is.....dual core, 1 g.b ram, 360 g.b hdd....please solve my problem...thnx...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.