Hi everyone!
I would like to create the image of my windows XP. The image should have all the software which I have installed in it, and all the settings, like limited account and other domain settings. I want to write the image to my CD or DVD and give it to the students. So that I don't need to install all the software and mess up my time. Is it possible in windows XP. Is there any tool in windows XP for that?
Thanks in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I think Microsoft backup is able to do that, but it will be a more pleasant experience if you just use Acronis TrueImage which is designed for that purpose ...

It wont work. Been there, tried that. The problem is that windows isnt portable between different motherboards very well. Thats why corporations who use imaging usually have to have a few images for each different type of computer they operate.

Also, what you are suggesting would be illegal.

I want to write the image to my CD or DVD and give it to the students.

That's indeed an illegal operation :) ...

Unless its a volume licence edition and your campus agreement allows you to do that

Unless its a volume licence edition and your campus agreement allows you to do that

Agreed, but you don't know this so I would just refer him to some kind of imaging solution ...

I have a image of winxp and win98 ,someone made and grage to me ,illegal i know ,thats why i don't use them ,except as a test of a computer and then i format and load a legit windows copy !
they were created without the motherboard chipset drives ,and nic cards and modems installed ,i have never had a problem with installing the image on any different chipset,s old laptop or old computer i was testing windows on!

There is a legal way to create your own xp with a program named
Nlite for xp,press the down link :D
http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

Yeah, that's right but Microsoft doesn't offer support for these customized editions (but I don't know if you need it) ...

For tux4life.
maybe you're right,but can be done,and this is the matter or not?
You can download the most of hotfixes and svpacks.If you digging more down you can integrate your programs that can run first run of xp....and lot of things about that...

nlite is not the same as making a image of your hdd after you install windows

Agree with caperjack.

also

Yeah, that's right but Microsoft doesn't offer support for these customized editions

Yeah they do, if you use the MS Deployment tools (sysprep, the unattended install toolkit, etc...) and/or the WIM toolkit, they are fully supported for deploying clients in the enterprise, but only on the pro (retail or VLK) and server versions.

But it doesnt really matter. No one ever gets MS support anyway

Yeah they do, if you use the MS Deployment tools (sysprep, the unattended install toolkit, etc...) and/or the WIM toolkit, they are fully supported for deploying clients in the enterprise, but only on the pro (retail or VLK) and server versions.

Agreed, but I was talking about the nlited editions :)

But it doesnt really matter. No one ever gets MS support anyway

That's true !

Agreed, but I was talking about the nlited editions

All nlite is is a user-friendly wrapper around the MS methods. hotfix integration and service pack slipstreaming is done using the Windows Installer and command line switches for it. Thats all. And the unnatended install stuff if all done using the unnatend.sif file (modification of which ms document in thier depoloyment guide)

commented: You're so right !! Couldn't explain it in a better way :) ! +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.