Hi,

I have a PC I built almost a year ago and recently its been behaving strangely. Today when I turned it on there was a strange churning grinding noise coming from inside.

I thought it was the PSU but just to make sure I unplugged the other fans one by one to make sure it was it. When I got to the graphics card (unplugged it cause it also has its own fan) booting up caused the PC to make a strange LONG BEEEP that did not end till I held power to shut it down. Normally I would expect the standard long short short beep sequence telling me the graphics card is missing.

Any ideas? Is my PSU about to die?

The other problems I've been having:
1. Drag and drop in windows would sometimes stop to work. I could select icons, but could not drag them.
2. My keyboard's numpad area would be miss interpreted as regular numbers, so software that differentiates num1 and 1 would take both buttons as 1.
3. Sometimes when I log onto windows XP wants a passwod. My password is blank. To solve this I have to go into safe mode, assign myself a password then in normal mode I have to enter that password to gain access. Once in I can remove it and go on with my life. Entering the blank password produces an "account restriction" error.
4. On boot up I once got the Long-short-short beep even though the graphics card was hooked up fine. After checking and trying again the problem was solved and has not repeated since.

Hi,

I have a PC I built almost a year ago and recently its been behaving strangely. Today when I turned it on there was a strange churning grinding noise coming from inside.

I thought it was the PSU but just to make sure I unplugged the other fans one by one to make sure it was it. When I got to the graphics card (unplugged it cause it also has its own fan) booting up caused the PC to make a strange LONG BEEEP that did not end till I held power to shut it down. Normally I would expect the standard long short short beep sequence telling me the graphics card is missing.

Any ideas? Is my PSU about to die?

I guess that the noise from your pc is can be the dust festered in the fan,try to clean them one by one,it is good practice.
Do off the transfer-picture from the fan,dribble some oil,do on the transfer-picture...and the noise will terminated

4. On boot up I once got the Long-short-short beep even though the graphics card was hooked up fine. After checking and trying again the problem was solved and has not repeated since.

What kind of type your computer B.I.O.S?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.