I will try and explain...this is what I already did...I put in my xp cd and selected the first option...which was 'enter' then I hit 'r' for repair and it went thru the process of repairing...it finished fine but did not work as planned...I messed something up and want to re-do it, so what I want to do...

I want to do another repair but this is what happens..I press enter, then F8, and the next screen says select the windows installation to repair and press 'r'...but when I press 'r' the next screen says...Setup has already attempted to upgrade and the only options are:

to retry upgrading to windows xp press enter

to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing press esc

to quite setup press f3.

Is there something I can do, so when I go back to the 'repair' screen it will actually do the repair. Meaning...can I move/delete a certain file so when the xp cd looks at my drive it will think something is wrong and give me the option to fix it.

Hope that makes sense...also please keep in mind the repair Im tryinjg to do is the one you select after first hitting 'Enter'

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hope that makes sense...also please keep in mind the repair Im tryinjg to do is the one you select after first hitting 'Enter'

by repair you mean reinstall windows over top of the existing install ,so as to replace /fix missing files and drives .correct ,so when you did it the first time ,What happened ??????????,what were you hoping to fix with doing the repair ,what problems are you having

ok...I will try and explain....After I did the first repair, it loaded fine and when it got to 33 percent it asked for my product key...I entered the key I had wrote down on a copied XP cd...but when I did this it said the key is invalid.

So I bought a NEW Xp Pro cd and figured if I put in the new real cd and do a repair...that when it asks for the key I will put in the new key and should work.

The problem as I tried to explain is that when I put cd in...choose first option...which is enter, then hit f8 and then hit r to repair, the next screen says setup already attempted...and I cant do it.

So I was hoping I could either delete or move a certain file that the cd will look as corrputed and then let me try and repair it.

Ideas....?

ok.
Ideas....?

not really! is the old install you have now pro or xp home edition
If it were i would backup important files and do a format and fresh install of your new winxp pro

The option to repair is asked twice by XP, You have used the first one, now try the second one and see if it works, else the above advice by caperjack is better, else if you are having a problem due to which you cannot log-in then mention that so that we may help...

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

The section you speak about where I would select repair is what Im talking about...it is NOT there anymore...it will not let me repair again.

So...is there any file...that I can either remove, delete etc that when I put in the xp cd it will think its corrput and say it needs to be repaired?

there must be a file or something

my opinion is you bought a oem version of windows not a retail one ,and it doesn't have the second R

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.