Hi,
I am new to this forum, and it seems you guys are very helpful.
I have this problem:
The Iexplorer doea not work, all it gives me is the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the webpage" screen (no matter which site I try).

On the Other hand, I have Skype running and it works fine, So I know there is internet connection.

I have the "Gmail Notifier" installed, and it also cannot connect.

This problem started after running Spybot and a "MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" and deleting all the spy ware it detected.

I am working with a Netgear router, and the other 2 computers that I have here have no problem at all.

I have been looking for simillar problems that people had in the past here on the forum but havent yet managed to fix the problem.

I can ping my own IP address, and I can also ping www.google.com, but when I tried to ping 66.102.7.147 I got 4 request timeouts.

I have tried to restore the system back to a week ago when everything worked fine but this hasnt helped.

One thing I noticed when doing ipconfig -all is :
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled : No

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I just noticed one more thing in the ipconfig -all:
Media State : Media disconnected
Description: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor #2

Im guessing this is the non-wireless connection and that it is ok.
Is this right?

please help

I just noticed one more thing in the ipconfig -all:
Media State : Media disconnected
Description: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor #2

Im guessing this is the non-wireless connection and that it is ok.
Is this right?

yes that is the wired adapter ,so you are connected wireless correct!
open IE go to tools/ internet options/advanced and reset IE settings ,might help

I tried reseting the IE settings, but it didnt help.
I now have more info:
I tried connecting to MSN Messanger and it didnt manage but it gave me an option to troubleshoot.
It then performed a "Basic Internet Connection Test", and the results are:
IP : OK
Default Gateway : OK
IE's offline setting : (nothing)
Hosts File : OK
Proxy Server : *** Faulty ***
Key Ports : *** Faulty ***
Wireless : OK

So any ideas how to proceed to fix the Proxy Server and Key Ports ?

HEY !!!!
I managed to fix most of the problem.
I went in the IE to : tools -> Internet Options -> connections -> LAN Settings
I unmarked "automatically detect settings" and "Use a Proxy server for your LAN (...)"

I now have internet and Google Notifier and MSN Messanger are connecting.

My only minor problem is that on the "Basic Internet Connection Test" I am doing with the MSN Messanger, the "Hosts File" is still Faulty.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I had the same promblem!
Skype worked but internet did not!

I spent a whole day tring to figure out the problem then came upon this thread and this worked!

I went in the IE to : tools -> Internet Options -> connections -> LAN Settings
I unmarked use a proxy server for your LAN

everything is back to normal :)

Hi, I have had this same problem but unmarking proxy server for my LAN did not work. On top of this when I am online my flatmates internet does not work, saying the have an IP configuration problem. When I go offline their internet returns to normal. Any ideas what is wrong with my computer?

The problems started after Windows did some essential updates, I haven't been online with my comp for nearly 3 weeks so any answers would be great. Thanks!

Does other networks you connect to work? Connect using a cable instead of wifi.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.