I'm trying to sign on to my company's VPN from my home machine and having some trouble. I'm using Win2K so the VPN capability is built in. I've added the connection in Dialup Connections but when I try to connect, it instantly comes back with the error:

"The connection failed because the modem (or other connecting device) was not found. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting device is installed."

I'm using DSL to access the internet and having no problems. I actually think I know what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it. I have another computer on my home network that is working with the VPN. That machine has 2 network adapters, both for the same device but the second one also says "Odyssey Network Services Miniport". The machine I'm having trouble with only has 1 network adapter. How can I add the second adapter and get it working with the odyssey service? I've tried searching all over and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Well... you added a dialup connection.. but do you have a modem setup and configured? and its phone line plugged in?

You should be able to make use of a VPN client to take advantage of your broadbad...

I don't have a modem in this machine, just the NIC.

Then how do you intend for a modem to make the connection to the vpn ;)

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or just clueless.. VPN connections don't need modems, they piggyback existing connections..

Yes I was joking :)

I've added the connection in Dialup Connections

You said this, which means you are using a DIALUP connection, to connect to your VPN, which requires a modem, you want to use an exsisting connection :)

Hello,

Our setup at work involves using the NIC card to access the VPN, and we have unchecked the box that asks us to make the dialup connection first. You simply put in the IP number of the company's device into the box, and we also setup DNS and WINS of the corporate network, to help eliminate any name resolution errors.

Christian

Yes I also have it set to not have to dial anything else first. My problem is not with the dialing itself, but in the network configuration of my pc. The VPN icon belongs in the "Network and Dial-Up Connection" area of the Settings. I'm not trying to dial anything. That's where the VPN configuration is setup. I'm merely trying to add a second version of the adapter that will allow me to use the VPN connection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.