Hello, My 1st time here.

I recently removed a hard drive & changed sata connections.
The "C" drive will not boot correctly, XP boots but settings will not load, programs & files will not open.I ran CMS Products, Inc. - BounceBack Version 7, 1, 6, 0 b/4 opening up the case, both drives should have same inf.

I am now booting form Drive "D"

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K Premium Rev 1.xx Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0204 06/26/2007

WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 137.43 GB 116.42 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 107.37 GB 92.32 GB free
i: (NTFS on drive 1) 182.64 GB 182.57 GB free
j: (NTFS on drive 0) 142.68 GB 142.61 GB free

HiJackThis shows every thing loading from "C" drive
? Can change drive letters to show correct boot drive.
Thanks,
Ben

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think that because you changed the connections HijackThis thinks C:\ is the D:\ drive.

"removed a hard drive & changed sata connections" - my understanding is that Sata controllers order the drives according to the number of the plug you connect them to. That's it, no drama there. That will be the order you see them in BIOS.
"both drives should have same inf." - What? inf?
"I am now booting form Drive "D"". Okay... that means you have set D: Active? Which makes it the system drive, containing the boot files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini....
Am I correct so far?
In your boot.ini where is the default OS [or the one you are starting] located? Is it D: [which, following M$'s nomenclature, makes it the boot drive also.. it will show up in Disk Mgmnt as System drive]? If I am correct in following you, then you probably installed a second operating system on drive D: while the C: drive was plugged in and operating... in which case Setup saw the old OS. That makes Setup get all girlish, confuses it...
Then does this page apply to you [reversing the C: and D: terms, of course...]: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
[when you install a second XP OS prevent Setup seeing the first by simply unplugging the Sata cable if it is a separate drive, or by changing /Windows to /Wasteaspace. Or whatever.]

Thanks for the link. I will try this.

FYI
I removed an old non functional drive **("C"drive"0" sata slot on MB) & switched sata cable slot to drive, 0 now named "D" & "J"

**WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 137.43 GB 116.42 GB free
**d: (NTFS on drive 0) 107.37 GB 92.32 GB free
i: (NTFS on drive 1) 182.64 GB 182.57 GB free
**j: (NTFS on drive 0) 142.68 GB 142.61 GB free

BounceBack make an image of "C" drive that you can boot from if a drive fails, The boot drive "D" is that image, so is "C"

As of now I can't use BounceBack to backup, because it stops me from imaging "D" onto "C"

Thank You for your help,

Ben

Sorry gerbil, windows loses links to docs & programes when I changed the drive letters.

Still stuck with booting & working from "D"

mmm, okay. I understand now. But cannot help... I thought one of the main purposes of imaging software was the ability to restore a backup to a new drive after a hardware failure. I do not know why yours cannot restore the image of C: on D: to a new C:.

mmm, okay. I understand now. But cannot help... I thought one of the main purposes of imaging software was the ability to restore a backup to a new drive after a hardware failure. I do not know why yours cannot restore the image of C: on D: to a new C:.

Good try!

FYI - ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini seem to point to "C" from "D", all new folders and updated docs are on "C"?

Thanks, Ben

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.