Hi

My Dell 1501 laptop seemed to get slower over the past week until today when i turned it on, it crashed a few seconds after booting up, and now when i turn it on, just before the Windows XP screen comes up, it displays a DOS screen stating a file is missimg from \SYSTEM]CONFIG\STEMS32, Pls insert original disk and press 'r' for repair." Any suggestions if you cant find your original disk...?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi

My Dell 1501 laptop seemed to get slower over the past week until today when i turned it on, it crashed a few seconds after booting up, and now when i turn it on, just before the Windows XP screen comes up, it displays a DOS screen stating a file is missimg from \SYSTEM]CONFIG\STEMS32, Pls insert original disk and press 'r' for repair." Any suggestions if you cant find your original disk...?

hi,to the best of my knowledge you cant do it with out the original disk or a windows disk of some sort !sorry
but with a disk here are some instructions .easier to just reinstall .lol
http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/C:%5Cwindows%5Csystem32%5Cconfig%5Csystem_missing_or_corrupt.html

hi, thx for ur response. Just a quick question thou, do u mean a full install? I know i can do that with a disk, but i want to be able to save my data..or is it unrecoverable? Pls pls pls say its possible...!!?? thank u !

hi, thx for ur response. Just a quick question thou, do u mean a full install? I know i can do that with a disk, but i want to be able to save my data..or is it unrecoverable? Pls pls pls say its possible...!!?? thank u !

hi ,what you have a complicated problem and needs expert attention,like a good computer repair shop,or friend who really knows computers ,the hard drive can be removed and placed into another computer to retrieve the data ,but yes a full reinstall would be easiest and better !in my opinion

Are you sure it is as you said i.e.

SYSTEM\CONFIG\STEMS32

???

And the error is not asking for a full install but just repair.. which most probably will not cause data loss..But before you format, try booting in Safe mode if it works...

If your computer is running Windows XP or Windows Vista

1. Start the computer.

3. Immediately keep pressing F8 before the progress bar reaches the right side of the screen.

4. From the Windows Start-up menu, highlight Safe Mode and press Enter.

Report back with the proper error message and also let us know whether it booted in safe mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.