I've been trying to remove dumprep.exe from XP/SP3 start up, thinking that doing so might help speed booting a bit. It's a
nonessential application and runs on in processes after everything else is settled for a good 30 seconds or so at 30+% CPU. The problem is that all the methods I've found online for removing it, including the two methods given at MS's site, don't work (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899870); i.e., it keeps returning at the next start up. From what I read, dumprep.exe is for Microsoft's benefit, those send/don't send boxes after program crashes.
- turning off error reporting
- unchecking it in MSConfig
- deleting all versions of it from the registry
- renaming the file in the System32 folder
- deleting all versions of it from all drives
- rebooting and checking Event Viewer immediately - no errors or warnings
Any other ideas? Thanks.