Hi guys
I'm trying to load office 2003 and get passed the inputting serial code and then when I get to install it comes up with I don't have administrator rights.
Funny thing is I am the administrator. I am running Vista Home premium.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many tks in advance
Azureblue

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for b1izzard

There is a Hidden Administrator account U have to enable it in vista by following:
Open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd into the Search box on the Start menu, right-clicking the command prompt icon that appears at the top of the Start menu, then selecting Run as administrator

Then enter this command and press Enter:

Net user administrator /active:yes

From now on, the Administrator account is enabled login to it and install.

Tks Ravi89 but that did not cure the problem. I get the following:
Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value to the registry key
\CLSID\{13DE4A42-8D21-4C8E-BF9C-8F69CB068FCA}.
Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Info Tech dept etc.
I have run regcure, done a complete re-install but to no avail.
Do you have any more thoughts on what I should do?

Much appreciate your help
Azureblue

Run the setup again this time right click the setup file and select run as administrator.

Run the setup again this time right click the setup file and select run as administrator.

Gurukid22 is absolutely right. Don't play with the UAC unless you know what you are doing. If you didn't know to use the "run as administrator", definitely leave it alone.

Even though you are an administrator, you are doing what Microsoft has warned not to do for years. Under XP and previous the idea was to sign on as a lessor user and only sign in as an administrator when, well, loading Office 2003 or similar. This procedure gave any worms or viruses that crawled onto your system far less power and ability to disrupt you system, but no one did it.

So the UAC was reconfigured under Vista and Windows 7 to protect us. That is why you try to do certain things, like access the Windows systems files, you have to raise your level of access. This is what you are doing with your install. You can do this in many cases just like GuruKidd22 says and you only do it for that one thing. Now when that install is done, you are back to a safer level where all requests to enter sensitive zones are forced to your review and acceptance.

Most people badly undervalue the UAC and the protection level it gives them. Take some time to read the UAC help on your system or the UAC information on the Microsoft.com website.

Nope, I don't work for Microsoft and I am not a special helper. Just a concerned citizen of the web.:icon_smile:

Tks Guys. Yes I understand what you are saying.
This is what I have done but makes no difference.
Activated UAC. Rebooted. Signed on as lessor user. Tried to reinstall with run as administrator. Now if I try installing one at a time like just word it comes up with "Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: Visual FoxPro Database. ODBC error 0: Verify that the file Visual FoxPro Database exists and that you can access it."
Could this database been taking out doing some other uninstallation? if so how do I get it back?
This is getting to be quite frustrating and I thank you both once again for your input.
Azure

Hi Guys
Some progress. After reading up about this problem I have done the following and have had quite a bit of success.
I copied the CD files to the Hard Drive where I installed from there.
I downloaded a file MDAC_TYP from MS and ran it.
This allowed me to do an installation but with one error right at the end. I hit the ignore button and the it completed the installation.
I can run word, excel and ppt ok. I can open .docx files after installing compatability pack. The only problem I have now is I cannot load the sp3 2003 pack. Sp2 installs ok. I get the following message right at the very end.
"Error 1402 Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{92780825-18cc-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263}
Verify you have permissions etc."

I think I have gone as far as I can go with this now unless you can come up with any other thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks
Azure

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.