Hey, my Windows Live OneCare trial just expired, and I don't wanna pay to keep using it, and I was wondering what is the best free Anti-Virus program I can download for Windows???

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

There is no "good" free virus scan. You should pay for a virus scan. You have to think you spend around 600 bucks on a new computer and a virus scan is around 20-50 bucks a year that can save a computer. Its worth paying for one than have a virus eat your pc up. I use PC security shield. Its one of the best virus scans out there i got it for 20 bucks you can get it from pc security shields website or search for it on pc magazine thats how i got it for 20.

I use Avast, and have not let me down

There is no "good" free virus scan. You should pay for a virus scan. You have to think you spend around 600 bucks on a new computer and a virus scan is around 20-50 bucks a year that can save a computer. Its worth paying for one than have a virus eat your pc up. I use PC security shield. Its one of the best virus scans out there i got it for 20 bucks you can get it from pc security shields website or search for it on pc magazine thats how i got it for 20.

I disagree I think that there is nothing wrong with free virus scanners I have used AVG and Comodo, I have never have had a virus problem. I don't know about Avast I have never used it but many people think it is pretty good.

I you want to think about it a bit more why not download a free trial of a paid for product like norton, or mcafee. I cycled through a few trial until I decided to use a free anti-virus.

Personnaly I hate paying for software especially if their is a similar free one around.

I would say either get a free one or download a free trial for a paid version then get it if you like it.

- Hope this helps.

These are pretty good freeware:
Avira Antivir personal
Avast home
AVG free
Any of it, any! But I use avast as I said

Hey, my Windows Live OneCare trial just expired, and I don't wanna pay to keep using it, and I was wondering what is the best free Anti-Virus program I can download for Windows???

The one I used in the past (temporarily) was AVG. Take my advice and buy a decent virus scanner. As the saying goes, you get nothing in life for free.

if you want better coverage [and be tormented with popups are you sure you want to do this or that or both ]you will need to buy one in my opinion, if you want one that offers this all in one program ,anti virus, real time spyware and adware protection, personal firewall

f you want one that offers this all in one program ,anti virus, real time spyware and adware protection, personal firewall

The new avg (8.5) has most of this, but it has slown my computer down enormously.

[little off-topic]
Anyone else have this issue or is it just time to format my HD (again)?

The new avg (8.5) has most of this, but it has slown my computer down enormously.

[little off-topic]

AVG is known to slow down most users' computers, try Avast or Avira, comparatively faster but not as good as AVG, almost close.

[little off-topic]

that why people are switching to avast and avira ,any all inone security will slow things down ,as it working harder ,sort of!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.