I am running three networked computers. My main machine is running Windows 7 RC, my secondary runs XP, and my wireless laptop runs Vista. When I boot all three in the morning, they all access the NETWORK without problem, but at least 80% of the time, the Windows 7 machine does NOT achieve INTERNET connection (cable), although the other two ALWAYS do. It can take anywhere from 2 to 6 or 7 reboots to get connected, and once it is, all runs fine. I am using a Linksys router and megabit adapters in both of the desktop machines. I have tried startup delay programs without success. I have tried disabling and enabling the NIC - nothing. A friend with a somewhat similar system reports that he has much the same problem. Please tell me that there is a simple answer!

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Senefelder

I am also trying Windows 7 out and have experienced internet disconnections. I cannot find a reason for it. We may just have to wait until it is released.

Can't say have had any issues this end on two Win7 notebook.

Have you tried using the troubleshoot option, run from a right-click on the wireless sys-tray icon?

Yes, I have used the troubleshooting click MANY times. I have even seemed to have success with on sometimes, but not more than 2% of the time :( .

Forgot to mention that I am running the 64 bit Windows 7 RC. Just in case it matters!

Have you made sure you have the latest Wireless/Wireless LAN drivers? In both cases here I had wireless connectivity out of the box, so didn't actually need to install either driver stack, but you guys may not be so lucky.

As an experiment, I tried turning off the built-in Windows Firewall, and since then (three or four days and about 10 boots), I have had NO trouble connecting to the Internet. This is certainly NOT a cure that I would like to live with, but it might suggest to someone a path to investigate. Anyone know how to set up an exception for connecting to the Internet?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.