Hi everyone,

New to the forum looks a good place to learn and help other, so i thought id register and see if any of you guys can help solve my problem which has had me confused all day!

I went ahead and created a new build.

I used a sata drive and created a xp disk using n-lite with the sata drives intergrated.

Everything went well it found the disk but when it got onto the formatting of the disk nothing happened! I left it for around 40 minutes and it stayed at 0%.

I went ahead and tried it again this time doing the quick format and it worked all the windows files copied over, When the pc restarted it came up with the message "disk read error".

I checked the bios and it recognized the disk.

I created a new xp cd and had the same problem.

I then searched the internet and found this forum it said abou the recovery console so i tried that using the FIXMBR and CHKDSK commands and it all worked and said it was fine tried doing the installation again and it still didn't work!

Anyone? Help? Please! I will be great full.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Welcome to daniweb :)

Is this a new HD?
If you have more than 1 HD then check your HD boot order in the BIOS? make sure your SATA HD (with windows on) is first. This is different from Boot device order (FD, CD/DVD, HD).

HTH
Darren

it was a fairly new 250gb maxtor sata drive. It was the only hardrive installed on the pc.
I tried installing a different hard drive a maxtor 80gb one and it all worked perfectly. Guess it was just the hard drive??

it was a fairly new 250gb maxtor sata drive. It was the only hardrive installed on the pc.
I tried installing a different hard drive a maxtor 80gb one and it all worked perfectly. Guess it was just the hard drive??

Hmm, I'm not sure.

Double check the following:
Cables are secure (stating the obvious I know).
Appropriate SATA ports are enabled.
Try another SATA Port??
Run Maxtors HD diagnostics if they have one.

I recently reinstalled XP on my WD SATA HD with no other HD's connected and all was fine. So maybe your correct and you were unlucky to get a duff HD.

Darren

Yes, i dont know what was wrong with it i think i might of caused a static problem because it had been laying around while i was waiting for the parts to come though never really had a problem with any before. I did try the maxtor max boost utility which didn't work. Nevermind, But thanks for your help and time.

Your welcome,

Good luck with it.

I think that your harddisk may have some wrong,try fix it,then you can use it continue.

may be your harddisk bad sector.please cek your disk.
with formating dos.

SNIP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.