Hi, I'm new here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have been having problems for the last two weeks and have tried everything I can think of but have got nowhere. Basically about 2 weeks ago IE6 started acting up it would not browse certain websites coming up "cannot find server or dns error" aol browser worked partially on these sites but not completely ie if i needed to log on it wouldn't do. I've tried deleting temp files etc ran anti spyware and adware and Mcafee Anti virus. When all this failed i installed Opera - same problem and today i installed firefox(which I must say I do like the looks of) but still sites won't load. One example is www.royalmail.com it just comes up blank. I used to be able to click on a link in Outlook and it would load but now nothing. I know you knowledgable people are volunteers but I would really appreciate some pointers. I know roughly how to use computers but haven't a clue how they work
Please take pity on me. Oh I use XP SV1 (my machine doesn't like sv2) IE6 &AOL9 on broadband if that is of any use. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

aww.. like the begging helps. there is no pity here. only help, if that is what you seek. :)

when you experience a "dns error"
try to bring up a command tool [start menu > run command > cmd > okay]
and type 'nslookup www.websitethatisfailing.com' without the single quotes

also try to post the output of the above and the 'ipconfig /all' command [in the same window]

this will give us all a bit more to go on
but before try a 'ipconfig /release' followed by an 'ipconfig /renew'

also, when was the last time this machine was rebooted? dns servers could
have changed and you *could* be runnning on only cached addresses..

aww.. like the begging helps. there is no pity here. only help, if that is what you seek. :)

when you experience a "dns error"
try to bring up a command tool [start menu > run command > cmd > okay]
and type 'nslookup www.websitethatisfailing.com' without the single quotes

also try to post the output of the above and the 'ipconfig /all' command [in the same window]

this will give us all a bit more to go on
but before try a 'ipconfig /release' followed by an 'ipconfig /renew'

also, when was the last time this machine was rebooted? dns servers could
have changed and you *could* be runnning on only cached addresses..

Hi Cain

Thanks for your reply.

I did the ipconfig/release (router didn't like that much) but did renew. Router back on line, but still have browser problem.
This machine rebooted alot just lately trying to sort problem.

Done the nslookup thingy - do I post all IP numbers it came up with, I think I saw on one of these forums not to post this info because people can do weird things if they have this info (please excuse my ignorance) I have posted the output without the numbers let me know if they are needed too.

Thanks again

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address ***.***.*.*: Timed out
Server: nstot.proxy.aol.com
Address: ***.***.***.***

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to nstot.proxy.aol.com timed-out

Hi Cain

Thanks for your reply.

I did the ipconfig/release (router didn't like that much) but did renew. Router back on line, but still have browser problem.
This machine rebooted alot just lately trying to sort problem.

Done the nslookup thingy - do I post all IP numbers it came up with, I think I saw on one of these forums not to post this info because people can do weird things if they have this info (please excuse my ignorance) I have posted the output without the numbers let me know if they are needed too.

Thanks again

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address ***.***.*.*: Timed out
Server: nstot.proxy.aol.com
Address: ***.***.***.***

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to nstot.proxy.aol.com timed-out

Would it help if I did the hijackthis thing

Thanks

I have problem browsing with opera it always show me not properly connected, but other browsing engines i dont find any problem , i love browsing with opera thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.