Hey guys,

Could someone show me how to write a batch file to install software? I just need something very basic that, when run, will auto install the software.

I know it isn't that hard, but I don't know how. :(
thanks!

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Duki

Why not post this in the programmers forum? I know you know this as you've been around the site for awhile.

installing windows software with a .bat? you would need to find the actual setup switches to make it a silent install, and those are product specific

I have a .ini file setup that does a complete installation with no user intervention. I need a way to run the link through a script though.

I understand how to make the script autorun, but I need help writing it.
Thanks though

yep, that really depends on the program. Just a double click silent install?

Seriously, if you are using a big microsoft products i.e, office, outlook, autocad etc, just fire them off from the msi installers and call the relevant switches.

It really is that simple.

? you would need to find the actual setup switches to make it a silent install, and those are product specific

Not really. Most MSI packages use a standard set of switches (i wrote a bat file to install all MS hotfixes post SP2)

I understand how to make the script autorun, but I need help writing it.

Thanks though

you just write the DOS commands, one to a line (as if you were hitting enter. Thats it)

I don't know which DOS commands to use though :( i r newb, i know.

I've done that, and saved it as a .bat file. Didn't work though.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.