When I right click and or double click to load a song for instance, it takes forever? I counted...right click takes 6 seconds! and when I open a song it takes 10! I understand this is a small problem but i find it very anoying. I have a home built pc, Athlon 64 2800+ 1 gb of pc3200, I feel that it should be flying but i have this problem. Anybody know whats up?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

As fast as the processor is and as large the amount of RAM you have installed, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything is going to happen in an instant.

Transfer of data between components is a bottleneck, the way Windows and software is configured can be another.

It sounds to me that there is a delay in the process of initially locating the file. This could be incorrectly configured drives causing a slowdown, but it's more likely to be a software cause.

Is Windows set to index files on the drive? If very large numbers of files are stored on a drive, Windows Indexing can actually slow down access, rather than speed it up! Are files compressed? That would cause a delay in access? Is antivirus software set to scan all files on access? Yet another slowdown.

You're never going to have file access occur instantaneously. The drive heads have to be moved to position from 'park' to access the file for starters. But the access times could certainly be improved, and you'll need to look at your software and settings to find what's slowing it down.

When I right click and or double click to load a song for instance, it takes forever? I counted...right click takes 6 seconds! and when I open a song it takes 10! I understand this is a small problem but i find it very anoying. I have a home built pc, Athlon 64 2800+ 1 gb of pc3200, I feel that it should be flying but i have this problem. Anybody know whats up?

I had the same problem. What I did was to go to Tools -> Folder Options in Explorer, then File Types and then removed all the files I didn't use/know what were.

You can't really do anything wrong, as the only thing that you alter here is what program explorer should open a certain file-extention with. Any things you don't know what are, or never use you can remove, but, if you don't know what you're doing however, you might break something, take care..

There was something wrong somewhere in the file-associations and that made certain files hang for a while for they opened or the rightclick-menu appeared. After a quick cleanup and a reboot it all worked again :lol:

hello, Iam StanDP AKA NecroGnomezZz and Iam:

"An Avid PC Enthusiast Since 1982...!"

After much stress and complaining, I investigated my right-clicking issue because this was the problem:

i would right click on something usually a file or folder and it would take at least 4-6 seconds for the context menu to come up GOD I HATED THIS WITH A PASSION!!! And so i spent a few days until i found the best solution possible, so here's what I did:

1> Looked online for a solution and weighed my options.

2> Downloaded SHELL-EX-VIEWER (Because I was told I could cleanup my right click menu with it... Well that did not work at all, and so I:

3> Waited a day out of frustration...

4> Today I gave it some deep thought and I came to this conclusion...

5> I downloaded the mal-ware remover that recognized the "MOST THREATS' and so I;

6> Downloaded PREVX v3.x and installed it (Along with PREVX Online protection).

7> I then set it's options, ran a deep scan and sure enough quite a few malwares...

8> So without registering I manually removed the malwares that PREVX detected and told me about & ran another scan to make sure they were gone. P.S. The virused files i renamed "VIRUSED1, VIRUSED2 ETC..." and so after scan it told me my renamed VIRUSED Files were infected, DUH! and so rebooted, and deleted the files and emptied the TRASH-BIN.

9> Guess what? No more 4-6 second wait for my right-click menu to show!!! BINGO, That fixed right-clicking issues totally.

10> I can once again enjoy my PC Time, And I hope You do as well...CheerzZz...!

StanDP A.K.A.~NecroGnomezZz~

The above held true once again, malware was the cause of right-click context menu taking 6+ seconds to showup, after malware was removed with PREVX v3+ (btw the only malware monitor to detect and remove the right click malware bugs...!) it took then (after removal of the right-click malware bugs, only a mere 1/10th of a second to load my right-click context menu!!...NO JOKE!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.