Hi there. I was installing some software, just a statistics program, but when I changed the disc as prompted, the computer jammed. I shut it down manually but since then the computer refuses to start up.

The power works fine and it gets to a screen where it reads:

Checking NVRAM..
A: Drive Error
Press F1 to Resume

So I press F1 and I get the loading screen with the Windows XP logo, then the screen just goes blank and restarts itself.

I've tried starting it in Safe Mood and Last Know Configuration but the screen just goes blank and brings me back to the "checking NVRAM.." page.

Any ideas as to what's wrong and what I can do to solve this?
Thank you very much in advance for the help!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi Taytoots,

What model of computer have you got?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS?(Usually tells you on starting to press F2, Del or F11 to enter setup)
Without more information I cannot be sure but my first suspect would be your system memory.
If you know how, you can try one memory stick at a time and see if that helps.

NVRAM refers to the CMOS.
You could try replacing the battery.

Hi,
" A: Drive Error" this is your 3 1/2 floppy that you probably do not have. you need to open your BIOS and disable the floppy, you will have to look for it on the first or second listing (Normally).

"How to Change Computer BIOS Settings
From time to time, we must make modifications to our computers that require going into the BIOS of the machine. Although each computer is different, most use standard ways of getting in, changing values, and saving the configuration.

[edit]Steps
When your PC is starting up, press the Setup key. This is usually Del, F2, or F12. The key, however, differs with each machine. It should be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
Find the 'Save and Exit' item once you have applied the settings. If you cannot find it, try pressing ESC and seeing if it prompts you to save." (copied from http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Computer-BIOS-Settings as you can not access the net)

Hi,
" A: Drive Error" this is your 3 1/2 floppy that you probably do not have. you need to open your BIOS and disable the floppy, you will have to look for it on the first or second listing (Normally).

when I changed the disc as prompted,

there is a 50-50 chance they were using the floppy to install the program in question

Hi,
" Hi there. I was installing some software, just a statistics program, but when I changed the disc as prompted, the computer jammed."
?there is a 50-50 chance they were using the floppy to install the program in question"

Reading the question again, one could easily think they were using floppies to do the installation. But, when was the last time you installed a program that came on floppy disk? When was the last time you used a PC that had a floppy in it? You may be correct but I would say 2-98% chance.
But then, of all the time we have disagreed, you have been correct many more than me. Time will tell!!!

Hi,
" Hi there. I was installing some software, just a statistics program, but when I changed the disc as prompted, the computer jammed."
?there is a 50-50 chance they were using the floppy to install the program in question"

Reading the question again, one could easily think they were using floppies to do the installation. But, when was the last time you installed a program that came on floppy disk? When was the last time you used a PC that had a floppy in it? You may be correct but I would say 2-98% chance.
But then, of all the time we have disagreed, you have been correct many more than me. Time will tell!!!

i have floppy drive in my computer's ,haven't used it in a bit but do use it when installing drivers for my scsi drive controller in one of my computers ,when installing winxp after i remove some other OS i may have installed .
anyway i based my 50 % on the word "disk" not how many of us have floppy drives .

Floppy disk, Compact disc, Digital Versatile Disc or Digital Video Disc, Compact video disc. the poster used the work "Disc" not "Disk".
I have not had a floppy drive in my last three personal PCs and I think the last time I installed a program with floppies (with about 15 floppies), was Windows 3.1. Wow, what a wonderful program that was, compared to what was available before it.

the poster used the work "Disc" not "Disk".

oops

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.