Hello everyone

How do you clear some memory from C drive when using just the command prompt. I can't remember how to do it! I tried to install GNU C++ and I had to put some commands into autoexec but things went wrong and now can't bootup to windows or access any files. It looks like that I will have to re-install windows but I have to clear some memory from C drive to do this because when i tried to install windows again it said that I have not enough space on C drive. What I want to clear is the existing windows98 programme and other stuff but not anything in my own files or poss my internet connection. So please can someone tell me how to do this step by step.

Thanks
daz10

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello everyone

How do you clear some memory from C drive when using just the command prompt. I can't remember how to do it! I tried to install GNU C++ and I had to put some commands into autoexec but things went wrong and now can't bootup to windows or access any files. It looks like that I will have to re-install windows but I have to clear some memory from C drive to do this because when i tried to install windows again it said that I have not enough space on C drive. What I want to clear is the existing windows98 programme and other stuff but not anything in my own files or poss my internet connection. So please can someone tell me how to do this step by step.

Thanks
daz10

You can delete folders in ms-dos if thats what you're looking to do.
type del (name of the folder).
type dir at your c prompt to list everything, then you can pick and choose.
You may get errors once you reinstall windows because of the existing files staying in there though - you're better off reformatting and reinstalling but thats just my opinion

peace

thanks, I'll see if works

DEL command can only delete files "Deltree" removes directories (Erase "Filename" with no quotes works aswell as del

I don't know about win95 or ME, but the start-up disk for win98 doesn't have the "deltree" command on the disk.
I added the file in a "custom" star-up disk I made.
If you can boot up your computer and get the CD working, put in the OS cd and see if the deltree command is in there.
I found it on my win98 cd in the "tools\olddos"?(my memory sucks)

Best of luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.