My motherboard recently died without notice, so I bought a new one. Since my motherboard died all of suddenly I was unable to back things up from my windows 7 installation, and I really need to be able to my current installation working with this new motherboard.

The only part of my build that I have changed is my motherboard from a BIOSTAR G31-M7G DVI LGA 775 Intel G31 (dead) to a ECS BLACK SERIES P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 (new). Currently when I try to boot windows 7 it detects that the system has changed and prompts me to either start windows normally or run the start up repair tool. Starting windows normally comes up with a blue screen, while when I run the tool, it says the problem cannot be repaired. I guessing some of my problems are coming from the fact that I also changed chipsets.

My question comes down to what are my options without doing a clean install? Would it be possible to do a repair install like you can in windows XP? Or are there somethings I could do through command prompt (I can get this through a part of the start up tool) or the windows 7 disc?

More specific specs:
Windows 7 64bit ultimate (believe it is update to date, or close)
Old motherboard
New motherboard
E7200 dual-core
GTX 260
640GB WD black caviler

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

can you boot in safe mode?

you should be able to boot to your win7 dvd and do a repair install no problems .you should gettherepair option when you boot to the win7 disk .
or use a system repair disk that one can created in all programs/ maintenence ,but making that disk would be to late for you

Woh ... woh ... back in here <MAL-aysia> - Win7 still new as it is new in the market ... does this new System have too much 'mistakes' already?

Woh ... woh ... back in here <MAL-aysia> - Win7 still new as it is new in the market ... does this new System have too much 'mistakes' already?

yeah thats' it, glad you were there when we needed you ,thanks for that ,have a good juorney

Hi,
Go here and read all about it.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+Do+a+Repair+Install+to+Fix+Windows+7

I had search for that before, but unfortunatly all of the ways require you to be able to boot into windows, which I cannot.

you should be able to boot to your win7 dvd and do a repair install no problems .you should gettherepair option when you boot to the win7 disk .
or use a system repair disk that one can created in all programs/ maintenence ,but making that disk would be to late for you

Would I go to install, and then find the repair install from there?

I had search for that before, but unfortunatly all of the ways require you to be able to boot into windows, which I cannot.

let you know in a few min, will boot mine to disk and see what option i get .

yes ,on the install splash screen you will see a repair option in the lower left ,click it and then next screen has a number of option and a repair is one ,and a system restore is another

yes ,on the install splash screen you will see a repair option in the lower left ,click it and then next screen has a number of option and a repair is one ,and a system restore is another

Thanks, but I already knew about this and have tried to start up repair.

I am looking for either something I could try and do in command prompt or if there is a way to do a full repair install without booting into windows.

As for safe mode, at the moment I am a bit clueless on where to hit f8 to get into it. Currently after my bios screens, it takes me to a menu saying windows error recovery and I got the options of launch start up repair or launch windows normally. Where should I try to get into safe mode?

Edit: I mange to boot into safe mode by spamming f8. I also get a blue screen in safe mode.

Thanks, but I already knew about this and have tried to start up repair.

ok,so the repair didn't fix anything then ,right

ok,so the repair didn't fix anything then ,right

Correct. On the test everything completes succesfully, but comes up with: Root cause found: unspecified changes to system configuation might have caused the problem

I am wondering if I could get another install of 7 running on a partition, if I could some how save the old one.

You probably maynot know that in win7 there is a option called REPAIR. Insert your win7 dvd while booting and click on option REPAIR.

But before that its better you read how the guide to fix window 7 @ http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+Do+a+Repair+Install+to+Fix+Windows+7

If you had read earlier in the thread:
I have already done the start up repair through he repair option, which does not fix the problem.
I beleive all the options in your link invovle me be bieing able to boot into my currently broken install, which I can't.

If you had read earlier in the thread:
I have already done the start up repair through he repair option, which does not fix the problem.
I beleive all the options in your link invovle me be bieing able to boot into my currently broken install, which I can't.

Ignore that poster they are just a signature spammer !

I aggree with 180 bob ,when you install win7 it will save all your important files in a folder called windows.old ,,mind you you will have to reinstall all programs you currently used .
ok ,i have a older laptop for no good reason ! a few days ago i ran the recoverys and put it back to factory settings ,winxp home, last night i installed Vista Business , it created a windows.old,
today i nstalled win7 Ultimite ,it created a folder called windows.old.000
they both contain program file, documents and settings[all users]program files and the windows folder form the winxp one and Users/program files and Windows and a couple or other files ,autoexc and config.sys for the Vista one ,
i just rame some of the programs in the program folder that dont need to install when they run ,but others i tried didn't work as i thought

Hi,
Can you action this....
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/666-advanced-boot-options.html
If you can not get this far, I would suggest that your only option is a backup and clean install

Yes I can get into that boot menu, but all options give me a blue screen.

The stop message on the bluescreens I have been getting are:
0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Yes I can get into that boot menu, but all options give me a blue screen.

The stop message on the bluescreens I have been getting are:
0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

as you allready said the problem is likey caused by the different chipset andi agree not much you can do to fix it with out reinstall that i have the knowlede to tell tell you ,sorry ,i have been faced with it many time when i changed motherboard for others ,butthat wass winxp ,
if there were some way to get in and uninstall chipset drivers then you might have something to work with .

Try going to boot in SAFE MODE by pressing F8 or F10 at the time of booting.

Try going to boot in SAFE MODE by pressing F8 or F10 at the time of booting.

poster already said they tried safe mode and the same bsod error

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.