Hi and thanks in advance for any and all help that can be given.

I just recently started having a problem with IE - the browser window takes like 10 to 15 seconds to pop up or to bring up a new window - usually, it's immediately. Is there anything I can do to correct this error?

Thank you very much!

Kylie

Edited to add: Ad-aware, Spybot, and Norton Anti-Virus show no signs of infection. I have gone through Hijack This and it seems OK as well (although I could have possibly missed something)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can post a HijackThis log for us to review if you'd like. If you do that though, please make sure to post it in a thread in the Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties forum instead of in this forum.

1. Did you do anything software-wise (install, remove, update, etc. that might have caused the problem?

2. Items that have accumulated in your Temp folders, Temporary Internet Files folders, and other locations can cause sluggishness and other odd behaviour in IE. Give the system a good manual purging:

(The following assumes that you're using either Win XP or Win 2000)

Reboot into safe mode (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up)

- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extentions for known file types".

- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders (but not the folders themselves):

Important: Th efollowing will entirely delete the contents of all Temp folders. Given that, if any data that you care about is living in those Temp folders, you need to move it to a safe location now, or it will be erased along with everything else!

1. Cookies
2. Local Settings\Temp
3. Local Settings\History
4. Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.

- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.

Note- If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed. Windows will allow you to delete the versions of those files which exist in sub-folders within the main Temp/Temorary folders, but might not let you delete the versions of those files that exist in the main Temp folders themselves; this is normal and OK.

- Empty your Recycle Bin.

- Reboot normally.

3. Try the free IEFix utility.

Often I find that time to be normal in the hours between 4 and 8 pm, and that it is caused by heavy traffic on my ISP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.