I have recently installed Windows 7 (ultimate, 64 bit), on a Medion Titanium MD 8385PC desktop making it dual boot with Windows xp. Now when I log on using xp I still have sound but not when I log on using Windows 7. The onboard soundcard is a "C-Media AZA AZ 97".
Windows 7 gives me an error message that "NoAudio Output Device is installed." Whenever I try troubleshooting I first get the message that, "High Definition Audio Device has a driver problem" and then, "Not fixed".
When I ran Windows 7 upgrade adviser it specifically said, "This device is compatible with Windows 7" next to "Devices... C Media High Definition Audio Device." This was all under the heading, "Information about upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7."
Today I have installed a cheap Yamaha PCI soundcard but that didn't help either. I still only get sound when I log on using Windows xp.
I would really appreciate any help on this one as I have spent many days and lots of hours so far without success.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

have you installed any drivers in windows 7?
if not you better find it and download it.
use Unknown Device Identifier http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Sound drivers are one thing that generally don't seem to work from XP to 7. You'll have to get the Vista drivers for your sound card, at least that's what I had to do when I had your problem.

Thank you for your messages. Yes, I have installed all drivers that are needed; it is just the sound drivers that are problematic. I have also installed "Driver Detective" which cannot help with this one either. I e-mailed the manufacturer of the on board sound card and they replied to say that they had stopped supporting since xp! No driver could be found for my new PCI card either. I cannot understand why Window's upgrade adviser said that all would be well when it clearly isn't either. This is a bit of a rushed message but I thought it best to reply and reiterate my plea for help.
Thanks again,
Ian.

There is no support for pentium 4 based systems for windows 7. Why would you install windows 7 on a P4? it would work really bad. keep using xp, my advice.
the minimum requirements for windows 7 are lower than for windows vista, but that doesn't mean that low. sorry if i've offended you, you should try upgrading to a newer platform. am3 is cheap and really capable of multitasking, by comparing it to core2. i presume the financial is an issue here.

No offense taken dadrian. Windows 7 is working fine in so many ways on this PC, why would I want to go back. Of course finance is an issue!
The good news is that I've found a workaround. I visited this excellent shop (http://www.compuplus.co.uk/) on a trip to Nottingham today and the personal service from the owner was excellent. (I trust I'm not breaking any rules by giving credit where it is due here?) He sold me a small USB socket for my speakers for just £9. Now I've got my speakers plugged in to the USB socket ( a bit like a dongle) which is plugged into a spare USB port and ... I have sound. Yippee!
Many thanks to all those who gave me advice here.
Ian.

No offense taken dadrian. Windows 7 is working fine in so many ways on this PC, why would I want to go back. Of course finance is an issue!
The good news is that I've found a workaround. I visited this excellent shop (http://www.compuplus.co.uk/) on a trip to Nottingham today and the personal service from the owner was excellent. (I trust I'm not breaking any rules by giving credit where it is due here?) He sold me a small USB socket for my speakers for just £9. Now I've got my speakers plugged in to the USB socket ( a bit like a dongle) which is plugged into a spare USB port and ... I have sound. Yippee!
Many thanks to all those who gave me advice here.
Ian.

in that fashion, there are usb speakers, logitech have some excellent ones, a bit expensive, but an amazing 2.0 speaker set, the z10. don't know the price, but they are really cool.
also, there are lots of usb soundcards, some of them really cheap. and you can use those even if you upgrade or change your pc.

I have no idea on that but keep in touch.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.