Hi

I have two desktops one has Office 2003 and the other my "graphics and video PC" has Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium. Both use XP Pro. I can't use Adobe Acrobat as MS Word is installed on my other PC. There are a few other issues, that lead me to realise that I should also install Office on my Graphics PC. I am reluctant to do that as I feel it will slow it down. Has anyone any advice as to how I can access the Office applications from my Graphics PC? Or whether I shoud just install Office on both PCs?

Thanks

Geoff
PS I also have Expression Web on my Graphics PC.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I can't use Adobe Acrobat as MS Word is installed on my other PC

that should not happen ,what error if any do you receive when you try to use acrobat

I can't use Adobe Acrobat as MS Word is installed on my other PC

that should not happen ,what error if any do you receive when you try to use acrobat

Hi Caperjack,
I can use Acrobat but if I try to open a Word file using Acrobat it does not recognize the file. In Acrobat's Open file dialog window a MS Word doc file is shown as a Wordpad document. On trying to open it I get this: . . .could not open "the file" becuse it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged . . . To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. then print the document to Adobe PDF or use the Acrobat toolbar found in Microsoft office applications."

Curiously, I can open the Word file in Expression Web 2

Hi Caperjack,
I can use Acrobat but if I try to open a Word file using Acrobat it does not recognize the file. In Acrobat's Open file dialog window a MS Word doc file is shown as a Wordpad document. On trying to open it I get this: . . .could not open "the file" becuse it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged . . . To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. then print the document to Adobe PDF or use the Acrobat toolbar found in Microsoft office applications."

makes sense as acrobat is for PDF files and not Word text doc's,isn't it ! mine is anyway

makes sense as acrobat is for PDF files and not Word text doc's,isn't it ! mine is anyway

I thought that if someone buys Adobe Acrobat Professional they wouldn't be buying it for opening PDF files but to make PDF files from other documents, in particular MS Word docs.

I was hoping that someone would respond to my problem with the suggestion that it is possible to add a path in the Adobe software to those applications that are not on the computer that has the Adobe software installed.

This issue is important in that surely one does not have to have all one's software on one single computer?

I thought that if someone buys Adobe Acrobat Professional they wouldn't be buying it for opening PDF files but to make PDF files from other documents, in particular MS Word docs.

you didn't say it was full pro and that you bought it ,i made a bad assumption ,thought you were referring to adobe acrobat reader free program ! Acrobat reader sorry ,

why not just use a flash drive to take the word documents from one computer to the other to create the pdf file .i also think office 2003 can save word files as pdf file if im not mistaken ,good luck

you didn't say it was full pro and that you bought it ,i made a bad assumption ,thought you were referring to adobe acrobat reader free program ! Acrobat reader sorry ,

why not just use a flash drive to take the word documents from one computer to the other to create the pdf file .i also think office 2003 can save word files as pdf file if im not mistaken ,good luck

Hi no problem Caperjack,

I have used Synch toy 2 to enable me to access any files I like on either PC. So maybe Adobe has neglected to entertain the possibility of the source software being installed on another PC.

Hi no problem Caperjack,

I have used Synch toy 2 to enable me to access any files I like on either PC. So maybe Adobe has neglected to entertain the possibility of the source software being installed on another PC.

Update: I have contacted Adobe Support with this issue and will report back later.

Update: I have contacted Adobe Support with this issue and will report back later.

Adobe Support have confirmed that I can't use Adobe Acrobat on my "Graphics" computer unless I also install Microsoft Office. But Adobe Support are wrong. The opening screen of Acrobat states that one can: "Create an Adobe PDF file from Office, email, web site file, or from any file that prints" The way that is done in windows is to "open the file in it's authoring application, and choose file Print". The "it's authoring program" is wrong, as if one can open the file in any application then one can choose Adobe PDF as the printer. I have opened a Word file with MS Works which came with my PC so, it maybe a roundabout way of getting Acrobat Pro to work but it does.

Adobe Support have confirmed that I can't use Adobe Acrobat on my "Graphics" computer unless I also install Microsoft Office. But Adobe Support are wrong. The opening screen of Acrobat states that one can: "Create an Adobe PDF file from Office, email, web site file, or from any file that prints" The way that is done in windows is to "open the file in it's authoring application, and choose file Print". The "it's authoring program" is wrong, as if one can open the file in any application then one can choose Adobe PDF as the printer. I have opened a Word file with MS Works which came with my PC so, it maybe a roundabout way of getting Acrobat Pro to work but it does.

Update: It would seem whatever Adobe documentation says I'll need to have MS Office installed on the PC that has the Adobe Pro software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.